License to spray ROUND UP ? :(

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by YZJOE23, May 19, 2005.

1. YZJOE23

YZJOE23 LawnSite Member

I was stoped the other day by a state truck and was issued a warning not to spray round up till I get a limited liscense for my lawn care buis. I sent for study material but gee seems like alot to study and know just for spraying round up. Does anyone out there have an idea what the test is like ?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you need a license.

No, I don't agree with the fact that WE need one. (thats a story in itself)

But based on the people I see that ARE licensed, the test cant be all that difficult.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

This is the easiest license to obtain in FL.
    The CPO license is the toughest in the nation. You are lucky as the guy could have fined you up to $5000.00 for spraying. In fact your name will be placed on a list and I will get it next month. They print all violators and the fines they receive.

So here is the best way to get your Limited License.

http://www.greenindconsulting.com/GIC/

This guy gives the class and then the test is right after. You will pass.
    It does cost and you must have insurance to get your license from the State.

4. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

In Illinois you would have to first pass a "general standard" test . Then another 100 question test for each "category". Ornamentals, turf, right-of-way..... But before you can take a category test the state has to have proof of liability insurance to cover pesticide use. If a regional state department of ag rep chooses he can order you to meet with him or her at YOUR office and "review" every single time you illegaly applied pesticides commercially. Each billing can be up to $500.00 per occurance. I requested the state statutes . Florida sounds easy as far as testing. I hope to see an increase in fines, warnings on the unlicenced LCO`s that go in and low ball commercial properties and then illegally apply pesticides. They come in lower on bids because they haven`t got the overhead ..... Many operators I have talked to are going to start dropping a dime.Professional`s have had it with unlicenced operators and the big question is, why are we having to go to all this expense,time and responsibility only to see someone getting by without a licence? May ask your insurance provider if you have a claim involving commercial pesticide use and see what their thoughts are. The licence boils down to liability, no different than driving a vehicle over a certain weight. Illinois warns you once,then its $3500.00 non-compliance fine and then if they want to make it real fun and put you under for good , $500.00 per billing.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

In Wisconsin Roundup spraying is covered under Turf & Ornamentals.s

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, Roundup should be exempt from licensing. Most don't charge the customer for it anyway.

7. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

TLS:
    What's not charging a customer have to do with it?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Part of the reason you need a license. Application for profit.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I find it hard to believe that there was actually some enforcement of the laws on this. Are you sure the guy wasn't a pizzed off competitor who was poising as a state official?

If Florida is anything like Texas, you won't be able to spray round up anymore, if that's all you are spraying. Commercial applicators in Texas are required to carry liability insurance. The insurance is 4.xx% of total payroll.

As for the verbal warning, I am pizzed about that. A guy who has been complying with the laws has spent THOUSANDS more than you. You get caught and all they do is warn you? That's bulls--t! I don't wish you ill will, but try looking at it from a licensed applicator's perspective. In the eyes of the law, there is no difference between spraying 25 lawns a day with a 300 gallon spray rig and spraying a few weeds with roundup in the sidewalk cracks.

Gee...I wonder if I could drop the liability insurance and get off with a warning when and if they catch me???

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Disagree....

There's a difference in spraying 25 lawns / 300 gallon spray rig and a few weeds in the cracks of sidewalks, c'mon.

I'm sure your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek, but what I don't get, is the property manager for a commercial building can go out and spray weeds in cracks of sidewalks, but I cannot go to Wal-Mart and purchase the same exact product and do the same exact applications, in fact probably less, since most non-LCO's I see (homeowners, managers, etc.) spray 1/4 the slab of concrete, not just enough to mist the weed.

Now I'm licensed, all that, but sometimes you just have to think to yourself that some of this is a money grabbing scheme.

Here in MN, to apply fertilizer, you need a license. You send in your check for $175 and they send you a piece of paper. No test, no background check.
    I suppose if you were already in the system for past violations they might raise a red flag, but that's about it.

If you want to apply pesticides, it's (2) 100 question multiple choice tests, and then every other year, 4 hours of classroom training.

If people wanted to really crack down on illegal / incompetent spraying / applying herbicides, it would be much much tougher than this.

Let the guy spray the cracks in the sidewalks.