License to spray vinegar?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by LawnBrother, May 23, 2005.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Hi guys. First off, let me say that I totally respect all of you organic guys because the amount of pollution from lawn chemical applications makes me sick. I don't use any kind of chemicals and I am not licensed to, either. I am also tired of weed whacking sidewalks and driveways, so, I am looking into concentrated vinegar for weed control. My question is, do you have to be licensed to spray it? I'm in Ohio. And I don't know if it is listed as a pesticide or not. Can anyone tell me what's up with it or point me in the right direction to find the information? Thanks!
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

nevermind wrong thread
  3. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

Basically you have to have a license to spray anything for profit..........

That said you can also spray a product if it is labeled for that use

IT dont matter what a home owner does to there own property with or without a Lic. (which is a ridiclous law) (they should not even be able to buy the product)

But when you go to spray for a customer you MUST have the paper saying you can apply chemicals.

FOR instance take round up for instance

A Home owner can buy it and spray it or you can buy it and spray it right WRONG
    1st you have to have a Licsense
    2nd it must be labeld for Commerical use
    The chemical you buy at the big box store isnt labeld for commerical use unless you spend the extra money and buy ROUND UP PRO

Same product pretty much but it is all in the label

SAY Its no big deal but if you get checked by the man and he asks to see your label and he sees your not using the right one then he will most likely write it up and make him look like he is doing a good job

BRANDMEL LawnSite Member

If your that worried about using vinager don't use it, dump boiling hot water on the undesired that will kill'm fast. If they come back dump more boiling hot water etc etc.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Lets fire up the stove and boil some water.....J/K

Anything you spray for profit you do need to be Lic, and in some cases insured....and dont get caught spraying chemicals which aren't labled for the intented target...My neighbor uses the salt/vinegar routine....I use prosecutor I imagine a bunch of salt and vinegar is just as bad for the soil as roundup, and since I'm applying to the foilage of the plant not the soil the amount of chemicals in the soil is minimal...IMO
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

vinegar IS a chemical.
    it is acetic acid. it is more dangerous than some of these "chemicals" you say are poisoning the earth...SO USE IT CAREFULLY....
  7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, if your state requires a lic. to apply pesticdes, when chargeing a fee?...You can always apply a "Supplemental Neutrient", "Soil Amendment", "PH Ajuster", and if the treatment also seems to rid the area of weed growth? I guess thats an added "Bonus"............... :cool2:
  8. naturesdesign

naturesdesign LawnSite Member

If you lived in Ontario Canada and in the weed/pest control business yes you do need a licence to spray vinegar. You cannot use a homemade remedy either it has to be approved.
  9. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

technically it is against the law.. Don't get caught ...c
  10. Giant Menehune

Giant Menehune LawnSite Member

I don't know...I'm trippin' about the license thing.....I was gonna say just bust out the old weedburner and have at it...but if this for profit, I'd bet you need a license to use a weedburner too eh? Woah........soooo strict!