License?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JCPM, Oct 31, 2009.

1. JCPM

JCPM LawnSite Member

I see alot of you guys saying that you're licensed & insured. What on earth kind of license do you have for lawn mowing?

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

we dont need one in CT, some states may require it. you will need one for pestisides

3. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here every town requires a working permit for the year. In order to to get one of those permits you must be have a business license from the state and have business insurance. Also must have a license for pesticides

Also agreed this needs to be put in the start up section because knowing if you need this would be a good step in figuring out your overhead

4. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

its a drivers license..I mean you have to drive to the lawns right?...and whats this overhead you speak of....lol

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You need a tax license and tax recipe here in FL. I collect sales tax if you don't you don't need one.

6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

You really drive to the lawns? That's funny!!!! I use my 12 speed from lawn to lawn and that overhead thing I talk about is to look out for any low tree branches that will snap the push broom off my seat rack. I'm just thankful that I found a bungee on the road this season to hold my scissors so I can now trim and edge lawns

7. W.L.M.

W.L.M. LawnSite Senior Member

Need to register your enterprise and have your sales tax certificate. Other than that no license needed unless you plan to apply chemicals. It is absolutely neccessary to have liability insurance though.

8. rocklandls

rocklandls LawnSite Member

In Connecticut, you do need a Home Improvement Contractor License (HIC) if you are doing any Landscaping that permanently changes the property. IF you are just mowing, you don't need one; but anything other than mowing, then you do need one. I never had one til a couple of years ago when the Department of Consumer Protection had a mock house and arrested a couple of Landscapers who were going to install new plantings. From that point forward, I got a license. FYI I didnt get arrested-I saw it on the news

9. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

rocklandls
    LawnSite Member

In Connecticut, you do need a Home Improvement Contractor License (HIC) if you are doing any Landscaping that permanently changes the property. IF you are just mowing, you don't need one; but anything other than mowing, then you do need one. I never had one til a couple of years ago when the Department of Consumer Protection had a mock house and arrested a couple of Landscapers who were going to install new plantings. From that point forward, I got a license. FYI I didnt get arrested-I saw it on the news

good to see them keeping the streets safe

10. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

You question is what separates real companies from people who are just out trying to make a buck. Real companies have employee so workman comp is a must and insurance is required, large trailer so DOT numbers required. Then most people consider a DBA or LLC a type of license.

Long story short, we don’t just mow grass. We make lawns look spectacular because we made a business out of this…meanwhile some people just mow grass and expect to make a living out of it…most of the time we just laugh at them.

Hope this helps??