1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Nov 11, 2004.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i have 25 lawn a week i do and i am 15. this is my 3rd year at this and i was wondering when i turn 16 do i need to get any sort of license or insurance of some kind. It is all cash now, but i want to get legal so i get bid on some commercial sites. i mow grass alot better than most of the more experienced crews around here. and imput would be appreciated
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, the statement " I mow grass a lot better than most......" really irks me. How do you know? Can you prove it? Is there some hidden list out there that ranks us in our grass cutting ability? We all have opinions. We all think we cut grass great. But to say that you are better than most of the experienced crews? I find statements like that hard to believe and quite senseless. You may be good at what you do, but you are not a "grass God" Neither am I for that matter. We all could learn things from our fellow LCO's I know I watch to see what I can do better.

Its about doing a good job and making the customer happy while making a living for yourself and your family.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Man when i was 15 i did about everthing better than most.... so i thought i did was i wrong.
  4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Grass-scapes said it right......take a note!.

With a statement like that, you did not have to tell us how old you are. :dizzy:
  5. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

you guys are funny.. when you were 15 you hated people that said the sh!t you just did... now look you are one of them people you said you would never be...

Man of stihl positive thinking is the name of the game..... I guess these people think that you should go around thinking that you do a crappy job rather than a good job.

Its easy to seperate yourself from a lot of landscapers..... spending a little extra time on the property can set you apart from the rest....
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

The fact that you are 15 I dont know if you can get Insurance for a company. This is my opinion, you are 15 and dont take this the wrong way but you are a kid. Enjoy the teenage years you have the rest of your life to work. I do admire that you are learning how to make a living but for now I would just concentrate on the yards you have
    Im not sure because of your age that you could do comercial properties leagally. Main thing is to check with your local goverment to see if a liscense is required in your locallity and be sure to report your income for tax purposes because the IRS doesnt care how old you are if you have income over $600.00 a year ( I think that figure is correct) you are required to file
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I believe, even now underage, you need a state tax certificate to conduct business in WV.You must collect and pay taxes on the monies you charge for mowing lawns, even if it's one lawn.There is a very high audit rate since Bob Wise became governor, now that he is on the way out, maybe Joe Manchin will make the state a little more conducive to the hundreds of thousands of small business owners in WV. Still not as great as Monty Warner would have done for us, though.As far as insurance, if you are doing that many props and looking for commercial, you do need to get insurance.Most commercials in WV require a minimum of 1Mil gen liability. To get some of the government accounts, they require at least 3M.And as far as doing landscape installs, you need a contractor's license for that , too.If you are going to hire any helpers , you will need work comp. for them as well.Unfortunately, we live in the highest premium rated state in the union for all types of insurance, so be prepared when you call around for quotes. Good luck...

EDIT: Forgot to add this...don't apply ANY fertilizer/herbicide/treatment of any kind to anyone's property without a state issued pesticide applicator license. I think first offense is $ 500.00 plus $ 50.00 per each infraction of the code.
  8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You won't be able to do Commerical until you are at least 18 years old unless your daddy signs the contract and owns the "lawn business" (and I say that because at 15 you don't own a business, you can't) because you can't sign a legally binding contract in any state until age 18.
  9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Young and dumb. If you have 25 weekly lawns and it's all "cash" do you pay taxes on your income? If you have been charging people to cut their grass and you have no insurance you not only put yourself at risk but you put your customers at risk. Very dumb.
  10. arpat2

arpat2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

You're 15! Enjoy having no responsibilty NOW! You will be working probably the rest of your life. However, I admire your motivation.