licensed and bonded

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by The landscaper, Mar 16, 2006.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you are actually licensed and bonded in all of the cities you work in? What are the regualtions on this. Do you have to be L&B to do any work including residential? I am in the process of applying for a city that I actually work for the city.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have never needed to be bonded. I have had to put up bid bonds for certain jobs with government agencies. There are cities that require a permit to do work within the city limits. It is generally a minimal fee, but they just want to make sure you have insurance and workmans comp. I have never seen them enforce the permits around here and was told by the city that they would if we report other services that are working without the permit on the truck. Like I have all day to call in everyone I see daily that aren't in compliance. I see about 25-30 a day just in St. Clair Shores. I guess I may try it to see if we can weed some of the scrubs out. I guess they get a pretty hefty fine and can get the equipment impounded for not having the permit.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The bond guarentees that you can and will finish the job. Your ins. agent should be able to get you a bonded

4. The landscaper

Yeah, i called my insurance agent today and it took less than a minute.

Metro-- How are you able to call in all the scrubs if you don't have the permit yourself and they don't enforce it anyhow. Not being critical, just curious of how you can do it.

5. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

He said he wasn't bonded, not without a permit.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My area has no requirements for anything if all you are doing is mowing grass. I do carry liability insurance however.

7. The landscaper

What is the permit. Just something from the city that allows you to work within their limits.

8. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

That's what it is in my town.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I never said I don't have the permits. I said we have never been asked to be bonded. This is a pic of the permit. You are to have them displayed in the lower driver side of the windshield of any service vehicle working in the city. It is pretty easy to spot those that don't have them.

10. The landscaper

Those permits are fairly cheap too? It seems like a good idea to turn in some of the people not working with them. That will get people to either get more legit or quit.