Licensed and Insured?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CowPaddy, Apr 18, 2000.

1. CowPaddy

CowPaddy LawnSite Member

Hi, I may have a dumb question here, but can anyone enlighten me?<br>I am new to this biz and I have a question about being licensed and Insured.<br>I noticed some companies in this area say they are licensed and Insured or licensed and bonded. I was wondering what type of license and Insurance are they referring to? Would they be referring to a DBA license and some type of liabillity Insurance? Would someone be able to explain what this Insurance covers and also the cost? <br>Thanks.

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

TO DO BUSINESS IN A COUNTY YOU NEED A BUS. LICENSE,ALSO NEED ONE FOR EACH CITY YOU WORK IN.AS FOR INS.YOU'LL NEED LIABILITY INS.AT LEAST $300,000 POLICY.I TOOK OUT A $1,000,000 POLICY PLUS EQUIP. COVERAGE FOR AROUND $800 YEAR? SOMETHING CLOSE TO THAT,IT COVERS THEFT,PERSONAL INJ.,ETC...IF YOU HAVE EMPLOYEES GO WITH THE WORKMANS COMP. IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY! BEST WISHES<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

3. HonkyTonk

HonkyTonk LawnSite Member

Hello,<br>I have been wondering about insurance also.<br>Which insurance companies handle this type of insurance?<br>Thanks...<br>

4. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Look in the yellow pages for Farm Family ins. they have great rates for landscapers, cranberry growers and farmers.<p>Chris

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

AUTO-OWNERS CARRIES MY 300,000.00 POLICY.<p>HOMER

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you do not have business liability insurance you are rolling the dice everytime you pull up to a job. Contact your insurance broker immediately and tell them you need business insurance and if you can't afford the premium just make payments on it. Good insurance can be had for around $500 a year. As far as licensing goes, check with your local authorities. It varies from place to place. In Anne Arundel Co. Maryland all that is required to cut grass is a license to operate a business from the State of Maryland and a license from A.A. Co. giving you permission to operate a business from your home (if you do it that way).

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Definately get business insurance, its worth the piece of mind and its deductable. Also be sure to check your vehicle policy very close, most personal auto policies do NOT cover your vehicle when it is doing business. Thats how they sell business vehicle insurance. <br>In my county in Wisconsin the only licensing ond certification requirements are for pesticide applicators. The only other requirement is that you have a sellers permit and pay taxes.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I just picked up insurance from Nationwide. $1M general liability with $10k theft. $350 per year. Have not scheduled the larger items yet. Will be doing that this week.

9. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Scraper, that's cheap. Were you already a Nationwide customer? I shopped around for weeks, and the best price I found was about $540 for 300k liability.

10. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

who's got what in NY? how much are you paying?