Licensed applicator notation

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by SodKing, Mar 30, 2005.

1. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello Sean,

How about a designation within the profile to denote whether a person is licensed to apply pesticides or not?...I know it would help in the pesticide forum...

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a good idea but i am sure that many people out there like myself who are not licensed would put that they are licensed so they can look like a big shot on here. as an ego thing but i do agree it would be a good idea to have.

3. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

why not make it a requirment to provide a copy of License to a moderator who can get you "designation".

4. SodKing

I aggree. I would be more than happy to provide such information. Its not an ego thing as another has eluded. I am a landscape designer, though not a certified landscape designer so I would not look for that designation. But the professionals who "just put scotts down" because the client asked is doing a great deal of damage to the great deal of time and effort we put into getting licensed.

5. Brandyanna

Brandyanna LawnSite Member

What would this help with? Are you suggesting because you don't have a license you should not be allowed to access information or make inquires?

Some states allow pesticide applications without licenses under defined criteria and it is legal in most states for anybody (including LCO's) to make pesticide applications with non-restricted pesticides at there own home so why would would we want to limit who can access information or share knowledge.

FYI there is another web forum who has a licensed applicator only forum, if you feel you are unable to read and ignore posts that might irritate you I am sure they will welcome you there. What we DON'T need is elitism!.

6. SodKing

Lets not throw a hissy fit here.

It is not elitism and I usually give advise to whomever asks, and I am not saying that we should limit who has access to the pesticide forums, those are all your words. I am saying that when receiving information from people wouldn't it be nice to know those suggestions are coming from a licensed applicator? It would also help us licensed folk to more quickly answer posters questions.

There are no self serving interests here, and no ego...

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point. Some people on here just give answers just to give an answer even though they don't know what they are talking about in the pesticide area.

We can just copy our pesticide license into an email and send it to the moderators. The licenses are public record so they can go online to the state pesticide sites to verify the copied license is not a fake.

Not that anyone on this distinguished site would send a fake for the fun of it. :D

8. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

But dont you think the mods here have enough to do? To add verifying licenses on top of their normal duties would be entirely too much.

As far as misinformation goes, that happens everywhere in every forum and with just about every topic.

If you want to be reconized as licensed, put your applicator number on you sig line.

If you want to be recognized with a goofy title or color on your name, you should go to the other forum and play there.

9. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not in the pesticide business but I agree that this is a good idea for not only pesticides but other aspects of the green industry that require or promote licensing or higher education. It just helps in showing that someone might be a little more knowledge able and can provide a good answer to a question. Such as when you are in a court case you call upon an expert in a field to testify you do not call up a person who has only been working for a month or so and is not certified or licensed. Not that others that are not certified and licensed can not provide extremely good responses to questions and be extremely helpful. It just gives something more to stand on I would take such a person a little more seriously because they are certified and know what they are talking about (most of the time they know!!)

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why so negative? You sound like your glass is half empty.
    How would you know what is entirely to much for the moderators?