licensed makes one better

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 15, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Anybody else tired of seeing so many threads suggesting that just cuz a guy is licensed or is not licensed makes him "qualified" or not "qualified"? I know my State's tests are a joke. I'd like your opinions. (I have my own). Thanks, RSCVP.:usflag:

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I know that I learned a bunch when I got licensed last year, but I still have a lot to learn. I mean I have the same qualifications as anyone else, but there's guys that know a whole lot more than me.

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Go for it.

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I know guys that have a license and by no means are they "qualified" to do what they do. But the state is making it harder to get a license which is good.

I just like to have an even playing field as far as overhead is concerned. A license is not easy or cheap to maintain and most guys without a license are doing apps for 1/2 of what a licensed applicator will do it for.

And really, how can you go thru a 30 hour course and a 110 question test and not walk out with some knowledge you did not have before.

I like what NY is doing right now. Talstar, Dylox, Dimension, Merit, Eliminate, Three Way all require a license to buy.

Take the unlicensed guy out of the mix at point of purchase and then you dont have to worry about tracking down the illegal application.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Experience and knowledge is a gift best served by TIME.:rolleyes:

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

"Qualified"? Being certified doesn't make one qualified, just legal. Having taken the test in NYS last month, I can say this... you can't pass the test if you can't read a label, understand the mode and be able to apply a control material properly with some idea of how to avoid things like drift and having to know what the target is.

Our customer contracts require all of that info, and more. Those contracts have to be kept on file for 3 years, and if you don't know what you are doing, you won't pass a DEC audit. That falls far short of being able to identify a specific fungus problem and knowing what control material to use. If I list a target fungus as pythium blight and apply Prodigy in March.... when it was pink snow mold... the DEC is going to flag that for sure. Being certified means that an applicator at least has some of the basics down.

I agree with turf hokie.... the more stuff that gets restricted, the better. It's the home owners and the clueless that are throwing down chemicals according to the "if this much is good, twice as much is better" kind of thinking. If someone is a good chemical man based on experience, then getting certified should be a breeze, right?

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

As I said in another thread it's all a bunch of crap until the State REQUIRES EVERYONE to have a license to buy fert's and herbicides.

When they do that I'll believe they are serious about saving the environment.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

License makes one better? No
    License makes one legal? YES

I don't think it is a matter of a license making one better or not!

I personally believe that a if a guy is certified or licensed applicator...he must know something.

I think if a person cares and wants to learn they will do a great job with or without a license.

I a person doesn't care and doesn't want to learn then they will not do a good job with or without a license!

It really just comes down to the person...but at the end of the day, if you are in the business it is the LAW to have a license!

Just like you stated earlier....women have drivers license's but that doesn't make them good drivers. Same goes for some applicators.

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Just had a thought.... why are the most stupid questions ever asked in this forum are almost always posted by a person that is not certified? That happens to include some of my first questions when I arrived at this site....

10. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I see it a little different. It seems to me that there's at least a portion of those "stupid" questions asked by guys who often say they just finished their license/certification. There are many states where the license doesn't mean anything other than that the holder is at least trying to play by the rules. I've met many a certified applicator that holds at least one or more of the following traits...

-Doesn't know how to calibrate a sprayer or spreader, and often fails to grasp the concept of calibration

-Can't do the math to figure out lbs of N, amount of product to use, cost per 1000 etc...

-Doesn't understand some of the basic terminology, pre-emergent, post-emergent, selective/non-selective herbicide, NPK...

What I think American was trying to get at, is why does this board seem to jump on the license/certification issue first, whenever a "stupid" question gets asked? I find the "stupid" questions just as annoying as anybody, but more from the standpoint that you can tell some people took no initiative to learn on their own. Some of these questions remind me of the slacker in school who never studied, then tried to cheat off the smart kids on tests. Psst, hey what's the answer to #12? Yes this site is for people to get help from their peers, but I can understand some of the frustration when guys have gone to great lengths in education and/or hard work to accumulate knowledge and build a successful business, and some newb asks a question that makes it obvious they haven't bothered to try to find the answers anywhere else. If these guys would at least pretend that they've tried to find the answers themselves the would find a lot more help, I suspect. Not singling anybody out, just in general.

Back to the original point, why so many feel the need to immediately bring it back to the license/certification thing, I don't understand...