Licensed?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by syoung3765, Jul 20, 2014.

1. syoung3765

syoung3765 LawnSite Member

Sorry I am sure this topic has been brought up many times, but I just can't seem to find the answer. When first starting out in FL, so start a lawn care business with basic cut,edge,trim,blow, and some light tree trimming how does one become licensed? I went on the FL dbpr website, and it seems there is no formal state license, so how are guys claiming to be licensed and insured? can you say your licensed because you pay the county and city business tax? And can you apply fert. without a license? I see there is a license for pesticide treatment? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

2. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

call your local City Hall / Clerk

3. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

What county are you in? You'll need to get your business tax receipt at the city hall or one of the tax collector offices. Then you'll need to take the GI-BMP Training Program, consists of an 8 hour course with a test (they pretty much spoon feed you the answers though).

http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/professionals/BMP_overview.htm

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Each County you work in will issue you a License for about $ 35.00 per year. This is normally done in the County Court House. Understand that only allows you to do Mowing and Trimming. Any Irrigation or pest control work including Roundup (Weed Spray) requires a state License. The roundup License is easy to get, sign up at your county extension office. It does require Insurance coverage.

I recommend you do your "Do Diligent" and check every angle before jumping in. First look at your potential market and decide where the greatest demand is. Then look at the Supply or number of others competing for that market. Is there room for you in that market area?? I mean not every one has a weed free Seashore Paspalum lawn on the Beach. Working class people need service also. If you direct you attention to the right market you will be successful.

Every Spring I see a new crop of Newbies start mowing business. Long about August 80% are gone. I think a lot depends on the Heat. Not everyone can take the heat. Those with their duck in a row make it in the long haul. But I guessing that is 2 % or less of those who start.

5. Greg78

The county "license" for Lee is now $53.00, was less than $25 6 years ago, they keep upping it every year.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a County Occupational License because I have a State Pesticide License. How every I just found out some counties don't accept the state License and I would need a County license to work legally in that county.

7. Greg78

My Dad was actually checked for his BMP sticker last year while he was servicing a property. I was shocked!

8. syoung3765

syoung3765 LawnSite Member

So if I take the GI-BMP class, does that mean I can say I am ''licensed'' to cut lawn? I see many people claim they are licensed, but I do not see a state license to take, and I have contacted my local county and city business dept and they say it is just a tax you pay as a business. So how are people that are cutting lawns Licensed?

9. Greg78

There is no state license for lawn service. There is no "if you take the GI-BMP class", unless you don't want to be legal. After completion of the GI-BMP you'll get your certificate, that along with your tax receipt is your "license" to cut grass.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

The BMP class is for fertilizer not mowing. If you only plan on mowing you only need your local county business tax receipt, not the BMP. People call that tax receipt a "license"

If you get your BMP you can say your "certified" to apply fertilizer. The BMP class is the first step, they have created a new step in which you have to get certified by the state ag dept. as well after. But you do not need it to cut lawns. Hope that helps.