licenses for fertilizer in ohio

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by bigmudder77, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

do you need one to spread fertilizer in ohio? and if so how would you get it i need help ASAP thanks

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need a license to spread fert in Ohio, but you do need one to apply any type of pesticide (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides). Call 614-728-6987 (Ohio Dept. of Agriculture). That's the number for their Pesticide Dept. They can tell you how to go about getting licensed.

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to double check that. You DO need your pesticide license to commercially apply anything in Ohio, including fertilizers.

4. bigmudder77

well its just for residents

5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think what lqmustang meant by commercially was applying fert for $$$$

7. bigmudder77

ya i know that now

8. Victor

That's not true. You CAN legally apply fertilizer on a customer's property in Ohio without a license, as long as the product you're applying doesn't contain any pesticides. A preemergence/fert combo product would require a license to apply, but a blend of straight fert would not.
    All you have to do, is call the Dept. of Ag. and they'll tell you the same thing they told me. I'll post the number for their pesticide regulations office again... 614-728-6987.

9. Victor

Do you plan on doing pesticide apps too, or are you just planning on applying straight fert? You'd be very limited as an lawn applicator, if you could only legally apply straight fertilizers without pesticides in them (that's why it's best to get licensed). Have you made any decisions on what you plan to do yet?