1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Licenses in IL

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by PVLAND, Jan 3, 2005.

PVLAND LawnSite Member

This is my first year going legit and was wondering what type of licenses you need to operate in IL. I have already filed for assumed name and have an IL applicator license. Was wondering what if any additional one I need.
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Check for the local villages you plan on working in, and the one you live in. Each may have different requirements. Some also require peddlers permits to pass out door hanger type materials, and it is better to look into that rather than pay the fine if you get caught. Just some things to look for.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that alot of the villages require a peddlers permit (usually a buck). They get your personal info, description, and check for felonys (or so they claim). Since you appear to be doing some recearch, please let me know if you do any heavy advertising (door hangers). I would like to know the going rate to get these passed out. Also, on the Il.tax page it states that lawncare does not need to collect sales tax. Good luck

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We operated for 16 years in Chicago and suburbs. In Illinois, there are no state licenses for landscape required. If you work federally funded jobs, you will be required to pay prevailing wages, not to be confused with a union shop, but, that is really what they want you to be in order to work in this venue. Chicago never required landscape maintenance companies to posess a license, but as soon as you do installations, you are required to pay blood money, in the form of a $500.00 license fee to the city. There are no technical requirements to obtain this license, and the only insurance liability you need to show is $30,000.00, unless they increased it. Thus blood money.

Anywhere in Illinois, irrigation companies must have in order to be in compliance, a licensed plumber on staff. Many operate by installing the system, then having a licensed plumber install the backflow. Close but no cigar.

Chemical commercial fertilizer licenses are required by law as well to apply any lawn drugs commercially. Another crock if you ask me, because any chemical you apply can be bought over the counter even though in smaller potencies and applied with no training no are they required to flag.

In regard to various suburbs, the Village of Oak Park for example, wants you to have a business license and any landcape, even planting one tree requires a permit. Permits only used to be $65.00, but are doubled in the event you start work without one and get caught. Just recover that fee from your client.

Various other suburbs have thier own requirements.

Good luck! In Ca, we have an awesome licensing program that requires you to pass tests for various landscape functions. You get caught without a license here and it is 6 months in jail and a $12,000.00 fine, plus you are required to pay back 100% of any monies you collected from who you worked for.