Licensing a biz

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 31, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How much and where?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Where I live, its the Department of Revenue.
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

BHB, where I am a business license is not required. However, to get a commercial bank account and commercial insurance, I got a DBA (doing business as). It was $10 and a trip to the courthouse. I am currently setup as a general partnership with my wife as the partner. This was necessary for me for the bank account in order to have my wife on the account also. I do plan on incorporating in some fashion this next year, but for now the business entity we have now is sufficient. I would call your county or municipality and check what the regulations are in your area.

on edit: thanks for the reminder, B.J. We do have to get a sales tax license also.
  4. b.j.haynes

b.j.haynes LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Here in Ohio, it's the Ohio department of TAXATION, and the cost is $25 for a service venders license.:angel:
  5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

you cant, plain and simple. you are not an adult, so your signature carries no weight.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

f350, I would have it under one or both of my parent's name(s).
    wouldn't that work?
    Basically I need to call the co. courthouse and see how to proceed then cause it sounds like you get them at different places?
  7. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

so then you screw your parents due to a different tax bracket.. what a sweet kid.
  8. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I think if you are under the age of 18 you are not legally bound to have a licence. But, if you are, it would have to be under your parents name.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

thanks for the positive remarks! :mad:
    I'm just trying to do everything right, OK? What's wrong with that? I want to run a legit business here paying taxes, insured and licensed. I don't see why I should be shot down for that?
    Grassmaster, thanks I'll check on that.
  10. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Licensing a business is more complex than a simple answer. Each government entitiy and indeed each agency within those entities will have different requirements. A lot depends on what you do. The county courthouse may tell you what you need from their perspective, but not even mention other levels of gov't

Our Business has several different licences for different purposes

Sales Tax
    Contractors Excise Tax
    Non-Highway Fuel
    Non Highway Diesel
    IFTA (interstate fuel)
    US DOT
    State Pesticide Applicator
    State Nursery License
    State Plumbing License
    Probably others that I can't think of off hand

Your best bet is to talk to someone else that has a similar business that has been around for awhile.

I don't know of any one source that could reliably anwser your question with a fool proof answer.

Doug Austreim
    Austreim Landscaping