1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Licensing agreements for the unitiated...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GeeVee, May 14, 2004.

1. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

A licensing agreement is between a component manufacturer and an end product manufacturer that will be needing the complete unit from the former.

This unit most likely has many parts.

When you need a part for the unit, you must buy it from the End product manufacturer, not from the the component manufacturer. In fact, even if you could reach them- you can't get it.

No point in being sharp, or a good mechanic, or even sly and use the internet.

You aint getting it.

The starter lifted a bar on the armature. I can get the armature- 109 bucks, through the proper channels. Or I can get the whole starter through somebody sort of "offshore" for 129. You don't want to know what the proper channels wanted for the whole starter.

I'll take door number two......

I got it done, but I have been down the road a couple of times and maybe have a bit more experience than the average guys like us.

If you find yourself in the position where you can't understand why the small part is 90 to 95 % of the cost of the whole thing.... now you will understand Licensing agreements.

I suggest this- If you are jam up with work and are down a machine, pay. If you are in the off season and own plenty of tools above the basics, maybe you could dip into trying to find real prices for yourself. (If you can't change out a Chevy 350ci motor, pay)

You may have been bitten by the Lic agrmt without even knowing about it.

You can't see it coming when you make your purchases, and there is no point in asking the dealer- in many cases he doesn't know.

Good luck, PMCS will be money better spent.

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, I aint perfekt-