Licensing for mowing and landscaping?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by recycledsole, Sep 15, 2013.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey guys, I live in Maryland, and I am just wondering what kind of license landscapers have. I mean I don't think you need one, but I always see people say licensed and insured. I am insured, (mostly to tell customers yes I have insurance), and it might help me to say licensed and insured.

thanks a lot!

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Just a DBA for mowing landscaping you're supposed to have mhic

Even for planting plants you're supposed to have mhic

If you have a business license (DBA) you can say licensed and insured lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. recycledsole

from MD

sorry, what is a DBA? I know it means doing business as, but does that cost money and or have a certificate?

4. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

Sole proprietorship should be registered with the state as DBA 'business name'
    it means your social security number for tax's is linked to your lawn care service name, I think - I'm not an accountant or lawyer.

I think it cost like 75$ in PA to register a DBA

I have a home improvement contractor license, my business is an LLC, and I carry 1 mil per occurrence 2 mil aggregate insurance. Most commercial contractors require 2 mil aggregate. It cost me like 80 for the HIC license, 300 for the LLC, and my insurance is 350 a year.

5. recycledsole

from MD

ok sounds good thanks a lot for your help

6. whiffyspark

Yup that's your business license.

Mhic has stupid requirements. $50k bond two years of experience working for an mhic contractor etc.

We also need two year of experience or college courses to get a pesticide license.

You need mhic to a plant a flower
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. lego

lego LawnSite Senior Member

Maryland is tuff! Pennsylvania you study some books, pay 150 bucks and get your pesticide

HIC need 50k liability, no experience, you just get it that is crazy to have all those requirments

i should move to maryland for lawn care, probably can make more cause if you have the right credentials people know you are in the game forreal.

8. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

To mow/trim/blow you don't need anything.

Landscaping is a whole other issue. You can argue having an mhic for plants, and I doubt it will be enforced. They require an mhic for permenant structures (patios, retaining walls, walkways, etc). They also say you need one for laying sod too....but again, thats open for debate since the language says "permenant". As for fertilizers, you need to take a test and get a license. Cutting down tree's requires a license too. Good luck with getting that license....google Maryland Licensed Tree Expert and you'll see why. Fallen tree's can be chopped up and removed with no license.

By "licensed and insured" I'm sure they mean they have a business license...or they say it to sound good.

9. whiffyspark

Tree license is easy to get around. Hire a licensed climber. You carry their insurance though
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

depending on your location besides the state business license, you may need a county/parish/town/city license. Three of the cities we work in require a separate license, it sucks to have to keep up with all of them, but it's better than the alternative.