1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Licensing for mowing and landscaping?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by recycledsole, Sep 15, 2013.

1. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Didn't find anything about climbers, but they do have pretty strict rules.

This is from the DNR site:
    "Who must have a license?
    All tree care professionals practicing in Maryland must obtain a license. Without a license, they may not practice or advertise tree care services in the state. To obtain a license, the applicant must possess adequate and related college education plus one year of experience under a LTE or have five years experience under a Licensed Tree Expert (LTE), then have passed an exam and carry adequate amounts of liability and property damage insurance. The license must be renewed annually every January."

Not something I, myself, would mess with unless a lawyer told me otherwise. You or anyone else are free to do what you want.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Yea, to get a LTE liscense in Maryland is a real difficult thing. 5 years work with a LTE, or college degree basically.
    For the DBA liscense do you know if the liscense can be registered to a PO BOX?
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You can. Several large companies do it. Nothing illegal about it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

what? I didn't understand the post?
  5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Regarding hiring a licensed tree climber. Its legal you just have to carry their insurance. Then you can say you are a licensed tree company.

No idea about po box. I don't think it matters to be honest
    Posted via Mobile Device