Licensing in CALIFORNIA

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JimLewis, Jun 12, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

At some point in the future I plan to buy a 2nd home in the Palm Springs area and start a second landscaping business down there. I'd like to begin preparing for that. Can someone here help me find out the details on how to get a landscape contractors license in CA? I understand there are tests involved. I'd love details. How many tests? What are the topics? Are there recommended books to study? Are there training schools that help you prepare for the tests? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

California State Contractors board has a website it tells you everything you need to do.You can download the instructions and there is also a book they offer for sale you can use to study for the test with.Do a search

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Have you taken and passed this test?

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/studyguides/c-27.asp

Is that the website you're referring to? It doesn't really offer very much detail. Just some very basic info. on the topics and 2 or 3 sample questions, that's it??? The Oregon study guide is like 30 pages long and it details all of the plants you need to know, lists dozens of books, lists clear details on exactly what you need to know about each topic, etc. Your state doesn't offer anything more than this simple page???

And where's this book I can purchase? And what exactly am I supposed to be downloading? I am confused. I've done a search and this ambiguous page is the only thing I ever found.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I forgot all about your thread. Yes that's it all they offer in Ca.That's the site..
    You asked how to go about acquiring a Cali state C-27 license did you not?
    Well you need to look in forms and applications to download the applications and forms so you can print them out, fill them out and apply for the license and to take the test.You have to apply first and be approved to take the test. Yep that's all the resource info they offer listed there.There are plenty of websites that offer training for the test. I thought they had a book too but I may have seen that on another site.
    I would not worry if I were you. If you passed the Oregon test..you will pass the Cali test with flying colors. Apply first.
    You can't really do much else until your here because the test is administered here.
    There may be resident restrictions too. Otherwords you may have to live here as a permanent res for so long before you are eligible. I diden't have to worry about that cuz I am..but you might want to look into it.

5. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

If you have an Oregon license you may qualify to just take the Law portion of the test. You will need to search the website for details. If not, you need to have 4 years of verified experience and then pass a Law exam and a Trade exam. You will take both on the same day. If I were to do it over, I would just fill out the forms and send them in, once they have verified your experience, you will get a test date. Once you get a test date, your name will go out to dozens of testing prep companies and you will get inundated with their junk mail. You can just look at several of those offers and sign up for their testing help. It is essentially just tons of sample questions that will help you test your knowledge. Not much good if you don't know the trade or if you haven't read the Law manual, but if you have it will definitely help you prepare. I signed up for one of the schools before I submitted and payed a lot more than I would have if I had waited. You will also receive solicitations for bonding and liability insurance after you get a test date. There are some really good deals in there if you can sort through them.