Licensing in Daytona Beach - Volusia County

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by surfocean, Sep 30, 2005.

1. surfocean

surfocean LawnSite Member

Hello All,
    I am new to the site, working on starting a part-time lawn business in the Daytona area. I've read on some forums that a License may not be required for residential work. I have all the occupational lic. paperwork at home already, and couldn't find out whether its required or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very excited about joining the industry. Thanks.

2. Rich's LS

Rich's LS LawnSite Member

You do need a occupational lic. I would go one step further and get an LLC. That way you don't have to pay for your occupational lic. twice.. That is what I wound up haveing to do...

Good luck

3. surfocean

Thx for the reply...So how do I go about getting an LLC.? Do i need to talk to a CPA about that? If I get an LLC, does that mean I don't need an occupational lic....is it all one thing. I'm just a little confused about all the details. Thx

4. Rich's LS

It is all really easy... you need to go to mynewcompany.com and get your LLC from them. All you have to do is fill a few things out and pay for it and they handle the rest as far as the LLC. After you get your LLC paperwork you need to go get your occupational lic. You must have your LLC paperwork with you so you can get it in the LLC name otherwise you will be paying for the OCC lic twice. You are required by the state to have a lic. If you are working in the city I think you have to have a city lic as-well as a county. I would get them both if you are in the city... Best be safe then sorry and it's only a few dollars. I strongly suggest you get ins. I have a 2mil Liabilaty policy and all my equipment ins for around 600 a year. and if you are using your personal truck you might want to think about getting commercial ins on it in the event you get into a wreck while driving to a job you will be 100% covered... That is the exp part. If you need to name and number of a great agent let me know... Good luck and hope this helps.

5. surfocean

Thats great information. Slowly its all coming together. Getting my trailer tomorrow. The name of that agent would be great!

6. Rich's LS

What kind of trailer are you getting???? I would recommend at least a 6x12 and if you have the money and plan on doing clean up jobs for the home owners I would go with a dump trailer... That is my biggest regret. It takes allot of time to empty my truck. The Ins agent is Paula Abney she is the owner and there number is 407-877-6110 Ext 222 She is real good about calling back and doing what is best for your company. Tell her I sent you not that it will get you a discount but she is a great person to deal with. Also on the trailer if you aren't going to be doing clean up then I would spend some and get an enclosed trailer for safety and to keep your gear looking top-notch. That says allot about you. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Rich

7. surfocean

I'll be going with a 5x10 open trailer for now. I can't justify spending the dough on an enclosed trailer right now. I plan on keeping my equipment in the garage. Also, I will be starting out by pulling it with my wifes car....if all goes well I'll get a truck soon therafter. I just want to minimize the risk initially by not spending too much on stuff, so if things don't work out I wont be out too much cash....since this will be strickly part timeI found a used Scag 36inch-hydro for 1500 that I'm going to go check out later today. I think I'll be buying all the 2-stroke stuff new though. I'm working with sutton law to help set up my llc. Thats the plan for now. Thanks for all the advice!!

8. Rich's LS

If you can swing it I woudl go with the 6x12.. I traded mine out 1 month after I got it and it's still to small.. If you get the scag and decide that isn't what you want let me know...

Good luck and if you need anything let me know.. Oh If you need some temp help go to your local workfroce and pick them up from the front and that way you won't have to pay there fee's but don't let them mess with any equipment.. I only use them as labor... to much to lose if they get hurt weed-eating...

Rich

9. surfocean

I ended up getting a used 36 inch Scag hydro. Im filing all the licensing paperwork next week. I decided on the 5x10 for now since I'll be pulling it with my wifes car. If all goes well, a truck is in the near future, but for now the trailer will do....although I can see it getting small in a hurry! Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be out there soon :)