1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Licensing in Florida

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by LGL, Feb 3, 2011.

1. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

Ok, so how many of you hold PCO's, LCLM's, etc.....I recently attended the LCLM workshop to acquire the required CEU's and now I am studying for the test. How difficult is this test and is there money to be made by having it? Trying to expand my business a little, this looked like a good idea, seeing as I have customers interested. Whats everyones experience like out there?
  2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Limited. In regards to the test and how hard it is, well, the test is pretty easy to say the least if you have a basic understanding of the materials and pay attention to the candy feed course they give you.

Is there money in it. Yes to a extent. You can use your license to provide round up service to the beds. Which those that do not possess the license are not suppose to be able to do. This should give you a competitive advantage but it does not because so many care RU illegally anyway.

In terms of caring for the beds and the plants that they contain. It allows you to earn money only if you know what you are looking for. You can set up with your clients a agreement for you to treat with oils to prevent pest issues. You can also notify them that they have pest once identified and offer to treat the issue. This allows you the chance to make extra money on properties while you are already there.

It is only as valuable as you make it.
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Lclm and Bmp. Just enough information is given at the class to be dangerous. There is a lot of money to be made. But make no mistake you cannot put down 1 drop of Round up without the license which also requires proof of insurance with a pest rider. The money is made in using the right products and correctly identifying the problem. Remember you cannot apply pest to turf with these certs only ornamentals and beds. I grew some beautiful grass last season with straight fertilizer and OM. Thick healthy grass with proper irrigation does a pretty good job of controlling weeds.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

As I mentioned, I sat through the workshop last week, very informative. It was my understanding that to obtain the LCLM, you only need the insurance, the CEU's and to pass the test, no rider was mentioned. Seems like they mentioned that in regard to another cert. Maybe the PCO? Either way, I don't like doing things without being legit, so I will be taking the test and moving forward. I appreciate the input.
  5. Patriot Services

I was unwaware too until my app went to state after the test. No big deal my insurance agent just faxed the change to the state. When I got my policy I had to list the scope of services and I couldn't say I apply pesticide yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. promolawns

promolawns LawnSite Member

Going to take the class and test this Saturday for my limited. A little worried, because some guys say its and easy test while others say its not. I guess i will find out myself.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO every Yard Boy should have a Roundup License and spray weeds as part of the Service. Weeds are the number one issue that homeowner are looking to control. With the Roundup License you can legally advertise you do weed control, however not selective weed control in turf.
  8. Patriot Services

Like any test prep get a good nights sleep. Have all your paperwork, passport size photo, copy of GL ins, checks for fees. Pay attention, answers are pretty much spoon fed. Remember how to add fractions. Read the little book attatched to a bottle of Roundup.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    ericg likes this.
  9. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

+1. Besides that, many PCO companies (like ours for example) do not want to mess with non-selective RUp type apps. Go for it boyz.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You can say that again, There is no Money in spraying weeds unless you are cutting the grass. Then the Roundup license is necessary to stay competitive with other Cutter who offer weed control. No weed control and the next guy gets the job because he does weed control.

I keep a Glyphosate tank ready to go with a 300 ft hose reel on a trailer. All I need to do is hook up and go to the job. But I do a few burn outs for sod companies and a buddy who does slit seeding. Those are jobs that take the Commercial L & O to do legally. I have found LI 700 that I add to my Glyphosate will get a quicker burn down without the expense of QuickPro. But it still does work as fast as QuickPro. Quick Pro has a mixed life of less than 10 days according to Monsanto. But I have found straight Glyphosate to stay good for 6 months. There for I mix 50 gallons at a time. I believe the LI 700 doesn't effect mixed life. When burning out yards for sod companies I only need to see a little response in a day or so, so I can re-spray any misses.

I might add that Glyphosate in it's many forms, is an fatty Acid and very Corrosive. When purchasing pumps and equipment look for the Roundup Ready label on that equipment, it means that equipment can handle acids and will hold up better with Pesticides.

Is there money in Glyphosate?? You bet ya. But it takes some marketing in area we have not discussed on Lawnsite. I offered to give a seminar on Chapters 482, 487 and 355 as well as 5E-14 of Florida Law and point out the Loop holes and Market advantages of having some of those licenses. But true to form the average yard boy had no interest.