Licensing in NewYork

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cooper725, May 3, 2006.

1. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

Ok, I am sure once I ask this everyone will respond with use the search option. But I have done that and read until my eyes are almost bleeding and still has not answered my question.

Anyway, I have a small lawn maintenance company and alot of my customers have been asking me if I spray for Bag worms or Tent worms. I have never done any type of fertilization or used Pesticide besides good old round up. Wont do anything I am not licensed for. So my question is this, what type of license do you need to use chemicals such as Liquid Sevin, Orthrene, or any of the other chewing insect chemicals? I know every state is different so this question is sent out to the knowledgeable New york Pesticide applicators. Thxs for your help.

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Contact your ag. extension station, local Lesco, or dept of environmental protection. They can help you.

3. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

To apply pesticides (including Round-up) for hire in New York State you need to be a registered pesticide business. To do that you also first need to be a licensed applicator which means you would need to pass the core and category 3a (turf and ornamentals) exam. Certain requirements need to be met prior to taking the exam. For more info go to www.dec.state.ny.us/ Depending on what county you are in there may be further regulations on prenotifying neighbors prior to pesticide applications. For this year you may want to consider subbing that work out. If you do decide to pursue your license we would love to help you with your spraying equipment needs. (see Gregson-Clark sponsor link above) Good luck!

4. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

The Florida Department of Agriculture states treatment of tent catapillars and bag worms is prune affected limbs, those with thetents, and burn. Preventative treatment should be done early spring.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly..........