Licensing in SE PA

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cookedonphonics, Nov 10, 2005.

1. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

ok, here's the deal....

Got a new client this spring. Nice lady. She had a kid doing her lawn for the previous 3 years. She said he showed up every week and cut her lawn and left. No edging, trimming was very minimal, and would blow JUST ENOUGH to get big clumps off of her walkways and driveway... no big deal, she didn't pay him very much either. But now, he is in college so she she needs service. OK...I tell her how much, she agrees no questions asked.

So I'm mowing all summer and slowly but surely, her lawn is REALLY starting to look NICE. I have it edged, weeds are minimal because I don't cut it down to 1.5 inches everytime like the last guy did, I cleaned out her beds and weeded them (which she paid me for). Bottom line is, this lawn has become one of my best looking lawns and becasue of this I've gotten 3 new clients (on her street).

So... about a month ago she asks... what do you charge for weed and feed? I said I DON'T do it because I am not licensed to apply ANY chemicals, liquid or granule to anybody elses lawn besides my own. I also mention, that I really don't think she needs it at this point because the lawn looks awesome as is.... she says ok.

So I show up this week to cut and she's got dead spots ALL OVER the lawn.... I was at a loss... so I mowed (all the while wondering what the hell happened), then as I'm finishing up, she comes out and says that she hoped I wasn't offended, but she called so and so and they came out and sprayed because you weren't licensed to do it... I told her I wasn't offended but she won't have to worry about calling them again to come over and destroy the work I did on her lawn all summer because by spring I'll be licensed to do it.....THE RIGHT WAY! Man was I pi$$ed!! :realmad:

So my question is.... (after all of that....lol) Can anybody give me any advice on who to contact, where to go, what to ask for, etc...in Southeatern PA for licensing for doing chemical apps? Even if you know of a particular thread in LS that has this info it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS! :waving:

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture
    Bureau of Plant Industry
    Division of Health and Safety
    2301 North Cameron Street
    Harrisburg, PA 17110-9408
    717-772-5231 Fax 717-783-3275

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll need to get some study materials from the Extension office...The Core test is 50 bucks and is closed book. Category 7 is 50 as well, and is open book. If you know your stuff, you can do both in one 3 hour session.

PSU Cooperative Extension Office
    Berks County Agriculture Center
    1238 County Welfare Road
    P.O. Box 520
    Leesport, PA
    Phone 610-489-1003
    Time 9:30am
    Date(s)* October 7, November 4, December 2

5. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys!!! :)