licensing in Texas is it even needed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by VMcNeill, Oct 8, 2006.

1. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

I'm going to get the license regardless, I'm pretty ignorant with regards to different pesticides, and taking the exam will actually force me to learn more.However this comes from the Texas Department of Agriculture website:

This came from the regulated herbicide section of the TDA site:

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, my feelings won't be hurt, but it seems to me that I can use round up as much as I want, and actually do pre-emergents in the form of weed and feed type products with no need of a license. At least here in Texas.

2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I am not positive, but I believe you are correct....I have only ever had or needed a non-commercial license though that will soon change

there MIGHT be one exception.....for example roundup....I believe you will need to purchase it at the same spot a consumer would purchase it and NOT from a chemical dealer.....yes sounds dumb, but even if this is not required I would do it until licensed just to PROVE I was using a non-restricted use product....YOU CAN NOT EVER COVER YOUR ASS TOO MUCH WHEN USING CHEMICALS!!!

you need to call your local TDA office....for you probably in Austin...and they will be more than happy to cover everything with you.....the WONDERFUL thing about the TDA in Texas is that they WANT TO ACTIVELY HELP YOU avoid issues so that they do not have to become the "enforcer"....this is only more work for them

good luck, happy spraying :)

3. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, I'm planning on taking the TDA commercial applicator exam sometime in January, and probably won't be buying round up in any form until February. One other reason I want to get a license is just in case two-three years from now the laws change to something ridiculous like in Florida where one has to be employed by a licensed applicator for three years or so before even applying for a license.

4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

that is excellent thinking...Texas did that for a short time (now changed) for people that install septic tanks...I had a septic license and let it slip because of lack of CEUs....I WAS SO PISSED AT MYSELF FOR THAT because I had the stupid license, but was not going to ever work for someone else putting in tanks especially for 2 years just to get it back....now Texas has changed it to require a soils person to evaluate the soil then a licensed installer can do the install....and all that is needed for the license is to take the course and keep up the CEUs

your thinking and worries on this are VERY SOLID!

how long have you been in New Braunfels....someone I know used to own River Rats (way back in the day they had a kickass water slide there) right by where there is a stupid hooters out on the river (Rocking R is a bunch of hacks with trash campgrounds)...my friends dad owned the hotel on the other side of the highway from River Rats and the dump Rocking R that cut all their trees down to let more trash pile in the place....guess they sold out to hotters now.....my friend sold River Rats (got tired of the crooks at W.O.R.D. and their money grubbing scams) and his dad recently sold the hotel as well

I loved New Braunsfels back in the day, but not it is nothing but a police feast on the rivers and that has killed the fun (along with the morons that got all the cops out there in the first place by acting like asses and tearing up private property on the river)....way back in highschool Landa park was just wide open in the winter and we would get wetsuits and go down the slide in the dam for hours and get a knee board and put a rope down to the end and knee board right at the end of the slide (of course the city killed that by fencing it all in) :(

5. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments. I've been in New Braunfels for about six years now, so all I've ever known are the huge crowds and big number of policemen by the river.
    New Braunfels is a beautiful town and I'm happy to live here. I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near the Landa Park/Schlitterbahn area.

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i think the laws in florida are great. It keeps morons who know nothing about pesticides, and that is a huge category, from misapplying them. Those are the kind of "businessmen" who are only interested in a quick buck.
    There is a limited liscence for applying roundup and caution pesticides to plantings. All they have to do is take the exam. Not to sound too over the top but we have a LOT of different classifications of minorities here in fla who cannot speak a lick of english and the laws protect us all.

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

You need a license in Texas to apply any pesticide for hire. It's that simple.

8. olive123

I think the classification is throwing you off...the general use means any one can apply it but that doesnt apply to an applicator for hire. That is for the general public. If you apply and charge you need a commercial liscence.

9. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

The things is that the website said one does not need a license to distribute as well.

10. olive123

distribute or apply?
    call your extention office. Commercial work always requires insurance etc. find out from them what you will need.