Licensing of Lawn and Ornamental Pesticide Applicators in Florida

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Emerald Coasting, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Emerald Coasting

Emerald Coasting LawnSite Member

Two questions-

1. I've sprayed under someone for alittle over three years but it was two different people at two different companies. Do both guys have to sign off on me so I can take the test?

2. On the Application it asks for 45 documented cases of you applying a pesticide. Does Roundup, Fusillade,Imagine,Scythe, Ant bait count towards these?

Thanks

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO If you don't know the answer after 3 years, you aren't ready to take the test.

3. Emerald Coasting

on the Application it just says pesticides. not selective or non selective herbicides which i listed in my post. the only two pesticides ive ever used would be crosscheck and ant bait. but thanks for the reply Ric. I'll get a second opinion.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Anything that kills a pest, including a weed or bugs is considered a pesticide.

Herbicides and insecticide are both pesticides.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgaengineer

Come on ric, lighten up.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Emerald Coasting

Thanks for the info cgaengineer.

7. cgaengineer

Not a problem, glad to help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You want me to lighten up when the man doesn't even know the definition of the word Pesticide after 3 years???? Why not just turn him lose with Agent Orange.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO there are 3 areas that must be studied before becoming a Pesticide Applicator. IN ORDER OF IMPORTANT they are.

First and foremost is your state LAW. You must first know what limitation and responsibility you have as a Applicator. Where and When you can apply Chemicals. Also the types of pesticides and their general use.

Second and no less important is Safety, Both personal and Public. Proper Pesticide handling along with the basic industry definitions and Terminology is a must.

Finally the Life cycle of PESTS. Only after proper ID can you Follow standard Protocol to control or suppress that pest in the least invasive method to the environment.

THEN AND ONLY AFTER MASTERING THESE THREE can you start to even look at chemicals with the intent on applying them.

10. Emerald Coasting

Those are three really good guidelines i will follow as expand my knowledge in this field. Sounds like you'd be alot better teacher than the guys ive worked under in the past.