Licensing required?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by dvcroket, Jan 13, 2011.

1. dvcroket

dvcroket LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Texas operators - is licensing required to put out fertilizer for residential customers? What if it's weed and feed? Does it then fall under the Tx Dept of Ag's pesticide licensing program?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

All herbicides, insecticides, control products and pesticides of any kind require a liscense. That is actually Federal law, and the law forces the states to administer it. So yes, if it kills weeds or prevents crabgrass...license required. Unless it is on your own property.

3. dvcroket

dvcroket LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks for clearing that up Riggle.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If its not a restricted chemical you shouldn't need a license. You should have one if your spraying chemicals but for granulated I don't think it required.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

"The facts, ma'am, just the facts." Joe Friday

State law requires anyone in Illinois applying general-use and restricted-use pesticides in the course of employment be licensed. Persons applying restricted-use pesticides on property they own or control must have a private applicator license. Persons applying general-use pesticides on their own property are exempt from licensing requirements.

It is a responsibility of the Illinois Department of Agriculture to license people applying pesticides outdoors and in agricultural production. The University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service provides training and study materials

http://www.agr.state.il.us/Environment/Pesticide/training/commappl.html

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Ha Ha I know the law. My mistake, I thought he was talking about his lawn. The license he will want then will be a commercial applicators license.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea, I thought you did. My post was really meant for others who don't know the law.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

In Tennessee the law is written in such a way that stipulates if you are applying "any chemical for commercial purposes" then you need a license !! This specifically specifies if you are a lawn care maintenance operator who "bundles this service" along with any other type of service for which you are paid ... best thing would be to get a license.

9. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member