Licensing?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Landscape Illuminating, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I've been hoping to get involved in this field over the fall, and get started in it next summer. I plan on attending a Cast seminar in October, and heading to the Cooper seminar in the beginning of November. However, I feel as though my balloon has been deflated.

I've discovered that I'll need a limited license in low enery in order to do this. This requires 270hrs. of classroom training, and 2000hrs. of hands on work. Keep in mind that this training is not offered anywhere that I'm aware of. In the end, this also means that I'd be pulling permits for every job, adding to the overall cost of the job.

How many of you are required to have this license? How many of you actually have it? How can it be achieved? Online courses?

Thanks,
    Chad

2. Landscape Illuminating

from Maine

It's actually 4,000hrs. of experience.....typo.

Chad

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

http://www.lvlia.com/Members/State_Results.asp?State=Maine

Looks that way to me. We dont require a license in MS altho we are going to start working our way into an electricians license. My contractor lisc that covers my landscaping co covers lighting. Insurance didnt even change as long as I dont play with line voltage.

4. Landscape Illuminating

from Maine

Here's a quick update, though I'm not sure exactly what it means. I spoke with one of the clerks and she said that the info online isn't presented correctly. It should read that lighting falling under article 411 of the NEC requires this low energy license.

So, does anyone have a clue as to what does and does not fall under article 411?

5. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Billy, Chad, anyone out there in the business or thinking of getting in this business. Proscape and landscape illuminating are two perfect examples of where this industry is going and why LVLIA is working on playing a roll. Here you have proscapes with no particular rules in his state while li from maine is already having terms dictated to him. This is an area that LVILA is working on. Proscapes, you have experience, do those rules in maine sound right to you. Chad, say you were going to move to Florida after you did all that in maine. Think you would be set. You would be wrong. Right now each state is making up there own rules or not even dealing with it at all. At this time, when a state has a question regarding our industry where do they go. LVLIA is working hard to become that source so when states make the rules for lvl, they do so from a more educated standpoint. I want all states to have licsensing requirments, just want them to be fair and consistent. we can either be landscape illum and let things get dictated to us or we can work together to effect the industry positively. you can't do that on you own. It takes an organization..to lobby and effect change. LVLIA. get on board, come to the conference and see what's happeneing..That goes for you manufacturers and distributors too. You can be LVLIA members. These laws will have a direct effect on your bottom line. We have many distributors, Longhorn, califronia landcape lighting, terradeck, john deere to name a few already involved as well as manufacturers. Kichler and Vista to name a couple. They understand the importance of state regulation on the bottom line of their busniess.
    chris

6. niteliters

Chad I would urge you to read the LVLIA thread start to finish. If your serious about the industry get involved, pay the $$$ and make every effort to come to the conference. I joined the hba a couple of years ago and for the first year didn't go to any of the monthly meetings. Guess what, that membership didn't one thing for my company. What a suprise I had to get involved. So I started attending meetings which led to other ways to get involved. after a year of that we are now getting work through the hba and learning so much about that industry. It's actually alot of fun.
    chirs

7. niteliters

It's the same for LVLIA, if you join and think now work will come your way because you have a membership sticker you are going to be disappointed. If you go to the conference and keep to yourself and don't ask questions and don't seek answers you will be disappointed. Heck, Chad I know builders in my town that won't join the home builders assoc (hba). they say it's a waste of time and money. Look how long the hba has been around. The strength and crediblity that organaztion has. Bottom line, there's always going to be those type of people in any organazation. Don't be one of them.
    chris

8. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You go Chris!! Chad, NEC 411 refers to voltages at 30 volts or less. This means that in Maine, you would be required to hold a low energy license. As Chris said, the LVLIA is working on getting states to see that a low energy license really doesn't work for this industry. The test does'nt even have any questions regarding this business. It covers fire alarms and communications but nothing about calculating voltage drop and proper depth of the direct burial line.
    The LVLIA has a very good exam in place for certification that covers this industry and it is trying to get the states that are currently or thinking about licensing, to use it instead of using an electricians exam that is useless to the industry. Of course the LVLIA can't do that if most of the people out there that are involved in this business don't care enough to get involved. I would hope that everyone involved with this industry from the manufacturer to the laborer would join the LVLIA and get involved. This would give the organization a huge voice in government and help get these things done.

9. Equinox Lightscapes

Equinox Lightscapes LawnSite Member
    from CT

Anyone in a state that has recently passed licensing (sp) laws that effect us. Just wondering what happens to low-voltage lighting businesses that are already doing business. Are they grandfathered in? Or forced to close their doors?
    I don't know of any laws in CT that restrict us and don't really want there to be any either.

P.S. Just found the forum 2 days ago and am pretty excited about it! Seems like there are some people here that know alot about lighting and the industry.

10. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Florida recently passed a low voltage law and did not grandfather anyone. I have friends that had to take an exam that had nothing to do with landscape lighting and didn't even have a single question regarding the field.