1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lien question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadA, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lady who owes $170 for lawn care and shes made it clear that she's going to do what ever she can to not pay it. She is not on a contract or a service agreement. (my mistake) But today when I went to collect for the fith time I wrote up an agreement saying she was going to pay me the remaining balance and her sign it and had a witness sign it. Will this hold up in sm claims court. Or can I put a lien one her house. She is moving soon so I need to act fast. Any advice would help.
  2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Most of use have come across this same problem. After reading about guys on this site using olddebts, I tried it got my money within 10 days.Why not look in to it because even if she moves you can still chase your money.
  3. ChadA

Olddebts? What is that? Is it A collection agency. Thanks man. Aprriciate it.
  4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Check with your county. Florida's lien laws allow licensed contractors to place a lien against real estate for services rendered and unpaid. The minimum in most counties is usually $100. The lien fee can also be recovered.

She can't transfer title to the property as long as there is a lien on it. Most of the time the title company will payoff the lien and deduct the money from the sellers proceeds. OUCH!

Comes as a real shock to most people at closing time. It can also put them in an embarrassing position when they find out that the lawn guy got his money from the sale of their house. It gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling when you go one up on a deadbeat customer.
  6. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Why is she refusing to pay you? And what service did you perform at her residence? :waving:
  7. ChadA

I mowed four times at $30 per mow and aerated once for $50. Honestly I think she is just a thief. I don't know how else to put it. With all the excuses she gave me in the last two days. She probably never intended on paying me. Last night she told me come by today at 10:00am well I smelled something fishy so I went at about 9:30 sure enough there she was about to leave with the last of her stuff in her truck. She then said oh could i call you at noon and pay you then, I said NO I need it now, lets go to the bank i'll follow you. She then says follow me to the storage place there is someone there I can barrow it from. So I start following her and she pull over at grocery store and comes to my truck saying she only has $20 in her account but her son is going to check hers, But he might not have it all. He comes out "sorry no money in my account". Big surprise! So she starts to to jump in the truck and says I'll call you we need to go. "Oh no, I need to get something in writing from you". I then told her what BS this was. I said this is my source of income, this is how I support my family I don't have time to be out here playing games. Here's the saddest part, Her son is a RB for the Indianapolis Colts. She don't work he pays all her bills. What a deadbeat. Sorry for the rant, I'm still a little hot.
  8. ChadA

Thanks Dennis I'll check on that tomorrow.
  9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Why didn't you stop after the first time she didn't pay ? I collect when job is done if they don't pay i don't mow any more then I'm only out a few bucks . Don't let it build up . And when i get a funny feeling when i look at a job i have them sing two papers the contract and then the "fine print" paper and i make it sound really bad if they don't pay like one i just did there was a 50 collection fee and any and all court cost and all late fee's so one a 110 bill if he didn't pay it would have been about 460 bucks if i had to chase him for the money .
  10. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Is that any amount lien or is there a limit ? Like if there was one for like 2,500 would they pay it and take that out too ?