1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Allen's LS, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Has anyone put a lien on someones property? What do you have to do to do one for a customer that hasn't paid you? This is for Washington State. I'm not sure what the laws are and/or where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The laws change from state to state
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Here you have to file a pre-lien with the county just alerting the homeowner that you have filed papers to lien the property if the bill is not paid. We always did it after a signed contract and deposit but before start of job. New people to Az freak out but it is common practice for contracted work here.
  4. Allen's LS

I know it differs in each state. But I don't even know where to begin. what office or agency do I start with? :confused:
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know, maybe call the clerk of courts or something??

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would call the courthouse in whatever county the property is located in. They should be able to guide you the right way.
  7. Allen's LS

Thanks for the replies. I'll start there on Monday. :usflag: