lien

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcdow, Jun 23, 2014.

1. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I am almost finished with my first large commercial job. I received an email from the contractor stating they need various things before the job finishes. One thing was a final waiver of lien with retainage invoice. I'm not 100% sure what this is. I would assume if I do send this then I would not be able to file a lien if they don't send my final payment. Is this correct, or does anyone know how I should proceed. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you are a sub. For the general to get paid, sounds like the owner wants a waiver of liens. Many times an owner will pay the general, but the general wont pay the sub, and the owner ends up with a lien on the property from a sub even though he already paid the general for the work. Read what the waiver says. If it says you have been paid in full, but you haven't, I personally would not sign it. You should get a check at the time you sign.
    Retainage is just a percent of the contract price, usually 10%, held back until final completion.

3. mcdow

mcdow LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

Yep a sub. Thanks for the info.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice. I once held up 1.2 mil on a $162.00 invoice. Got my money in a hurry ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device