Lies or half truths?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNT Lawncare, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

About a month ago, I bought a used ZTR from another person on here. That person drove several miles to meet up with me and I drove several miles to get it. Before I bought it, the normal questions were asked including, "Is there anything wrong with it, does it need anything before you start mowing this year?" "Nope. Everything is good. We do all the service on it....etc." I bring it home and leave it on the trailer and park it in the garage. I go out last week to start it and check everything ( I did a once over on it when I picked it up but it was freezing outside, you know how it is). The starter gears are stripped. Sometimes it will engage, sometimes not. There is an oil leak, bad enough to need attention now. Both front tires don't hold air. Need tubes. I take it in to get the leak fixed and tubes for the tires and here is the run down. The person who owned this before me tried to fix the leak with extra silicone. They had to take apart the sump, clean it up, and resilicone it on there using the proper materials. Can't tube the tires. They are full of thorns. What was this guys mowing?! 2 new tires and tubes. Needs a new belt because the oil was leaking all over the one on there. The air filter had never been changed. The person I bought it from said that he just changed the oil for me when he brought it. The oil was dark and was overfull. It needed tuned up badly.

All in all, what I thought was a decent deal on a mower turned out to be about another $700. Not to mention, he gave me 5 sets of blades for this mower and not 1 of them was anygood.

Tell me, has this ever happened to you and if it has, what did you do about it, if anything, besides piss and moan.
  2. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I would give him a call anyway. You were sold something not really as is correct? You were told these things and trusted them. He outright lied to you. I don't think it is worth any sort of legal action, but you should at least call him and tell him that you felt lied to and that you had to spend $700 to fix it up. Maybe he will see the light and offer you some of your money back, it can't hurt.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it is buyer beware. I don't think you did a good enough job checking everything out, cold out or not. I say this because I know how Matt is. We went to go look at a used truck one time. He literally jacked the truck up, took off the tires, crawled underneath, inspected everything that he could. The seller of the truck after 45 minutes actually told him he never saw anyone inspect something like Matt did.
    Is your seller wrong for not disclosing everything? Sure is, but you should believe only 10% of what is said, until you can verify and check things out thoroughly. I would contact the seller and tell him about the repairs that needed to be done, see what he says, and go from there. At the very least, if he does nothing about this, you can hope that one time down the road, he buys something from someone, and he ends up not getting exactly what he thought he paid for.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

that is the joy of buying something used. i would give him a call and see whats up and if he'll refund some money. i also think its half your fault. if you dont have the sense to pull out the dipstick and see howold and dirty it is and just listen to him, you could have easily caught him in a lie and wondered about everything esle. then you could have checked the airfilter seen how horrible it was, and used this info to get the price way down since it was never properly maintained. as soon as i catch inconsistancies in storys i always wonder what they are hiding
  5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a very hard lesson. Unfortunately those are the ones you learn the most from and hopefully never forget. I had something very similar happen to me and I am a lot more careful now. I hope you can make it work.
  6. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Its going to work. I am not that upset. I know buying something used, there is always something. I should have looked it over better. Honestly, I drove 2 hours to pick it up and 2 hours home. I met this guy in a parking lot because he had to drive 8 hours to meet up with me (on his way to pick up another mower he bought on ebay). I drove it and made sure it didn't make any kinds of noise that wasn't normal. Yeah, it probably is half my fault. People shouldn't be trusted anymore.
  7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I blame both of you personally. You should of had it checked it out. And he probably cleaned it all off and made it look nice long enough for you to see it in halfway good condition so he could sell it and not look back.

Lesson learned...hopefully.
  8. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

Call him up. Hopefully he will step up and split the costs with you.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, because every time someone asks what is wrong with it, if I tell the truth they either run away or start up with the stupid offers! Dang it, for example if I'm selling a 6 y.o. br-420 backpack blower for $200 cash firm (cost $400 new) and the condition is described as rough looking and a few defects but it runs good, then that is what it means!

You ain't getting something for nothing, seems like 9 out of 10 buyers out there that's all they want is to buy my $400 blower for $100 bucks, that to me is an insult and I don't care if you can get a new Echo 4-series for 300 because it's not the same thing!

Same thing with the truck I bought, I paid $2500 for a '95 D-2500 SLT Laramie Club cab, but see here the dealer also said 'of course she runs good' because fact is if he tells me the truth then I would likely have ran like hell!
    Fact is, after I got it home, I had to put right around 1,000 in parts into it, if I had to make the list of things I did all up again, it would fill 25-40 lines of items that had to be fixed. Oh man, nails in tires, interior all tore up, A/c, cruise control, radio and turn signal light don't work, several other bulbs are out, oil change, man, I haven't even got warmed up I even did a front end alignment, I put 2-4 weeks of work into it.
    Such is life, the truck's blue book is 4,000 dollars, so 2500 + 1000 = 3500 + another 500 I spent flying to Boston and driving it back here = 4000 dollars, I got a fair deal and boy does she run now! The same truck all gone over from a dealer cost you 6000!

Fact is, we change the oil right before the buyer gets to looking at it, they think we're trying to hide something.
    Heck with it then, leave it black, yet another reason to run synthetic (that is what I use, exclusively).

So you need to find out what that mower is worth, but if you bought a 4000-6000 dollar machine for around that and you had to put 700 into it, you still got a fair deal, maybe not a steal. You can either do the labor and fix'r up right, or pay for a new one, way I see things if the seller puts all the repairs into it, it drives the price up and we're not selling it because we want to deal with it anymore, so the repairs are the buyer's job.
  10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest with you those are repairs you should have done yourself. If your not capable of those repairs you should not buy used equip. Used equip ALWAYS needs some work or something. Going to a dealer and letting them hit you over the head will put you out of business real fast.Often they are mad you bought elsewhere. Yes, I've made the same mistake you made and had dealers hammer me; so I'm sympathetic.