1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

life after lawncare

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MADEMAN, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MADEMAN

MADEMAN LawnSite Member

what are u guy are plannin on doin after u retired ur weedeaters and lawnmower???the golden years may seem long away but sooner are later its goin 2 cum...*trucewhiteflag*

2. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I'm assuming he is talking about retirement. Its a long way off for me as I am 20. I plan on being on a beach with a 20 something bringing me drinks all day. Haha.

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Retirement is sweet but if you are not independently wealthy where you can travel etc, golf, fishing and whatever else your hobbies are will get old quick. I retired at 47 years old, financially stable and quickly found out that retirement will make you fat and lazy. That is why I purchased a lawn service business three years ago. I recommend you save as much money as you can towards the day that you can switch careers. Unless you want to become what I am sure some of your clients are....lonely and grumpy!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Door Greeter at Wal Mart LOL
    Probly do this till Im in the ground

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Steve Jobs worked at apple till the day before he died.

Nothing wrong with working till the end. Better to keep active with a reason to get out of bed each day.

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Great question and I can honestly say I am not sure. Gave me something else to ponder!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I am at that point, 69.........and the shine from the "golden" years is not that bright any more. The 401K was looking real good several years ago untill Enron went down the tubes and the stock market followed. Sold the business 2 years ago and now work 20 or so hours a week for a New York couple that have a "summer" property up on the hill. Of course I still got the family free bees to take care of. As was said in another post, you can get fat and lazy very easy sitting around which is no good for the body.

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't know you sold your business, gene. The 20 hour week job sounds like a good gig though.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Dont ever retire until you expire