1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

life expectancy of honda 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jun 19, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering switching from john deere 21" mowers to hondas. Now that JD quit making there commercial mowers there is no way I can use homeowners mowers and expect them to last. I use to be able to get 3-4 years out of the JD JX85's are the Hondas about the same?
  2. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

ive had honda pro mowers for some time now you wont be dissapionted with honda although i would like to see the deck changed to allow that extra bit of height for dealing with long grass thas my only gripe with hondas
  3. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

Yeah me too, I run 2 x HRD536QXE with rollers but for long grass I have a 4 wheel Honda GVX120. Great engines, have run one almost eight hrs on several gardens in one day.
  4. Grass_Nerd

Grass_Nerd LawnSite Member

What is the JX85? I have only seen/heard of the JX75. Our Honda dealer told me here not to bother with a Honda and get a Deere? Less expensive, bigger engine... (talking about the 21")
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Honda HRC 216 I have on that is 12 years and one is 10 years. No major repairs just normal stuff, cables , tires etc. It mows tall wet grass much better than the Proline Toros, add lift to the blade and its a beast.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i have a honda that is from 1979, it still runs sooo strong, i love it, i like it more than my cubs.
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you got 4 years out of the JX85 you should get 8 with the hondas. I had a JX85 and it was always breaking down. Everything from the BBC, springs, cables,wheel adjusters,to levers. All we use now is Honda HRC216HXA. We run 4 of these. The only thing on the honda that is wearing out is the driveshaft. We put on a new one each year or so.
  8. HazellLawnCare

So the only thing I've heard of that fails regularly on the Hondas is the shaft is that correct? How high can you adjust the Hondas?
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

3 inch is max cut height.
  10. HazellLawnCare

That should be fine. I cut my yards at that height anyways. What extra parts would you suggest keeping on hand for the hondas?