Life Expectancy Of Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 14, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have a 2003 Exmark Lazer HP with the Kaw motor. What would be a fair guess as to the life expectancy of this machine (In hours).

Assume proper maintenance, and average lawns.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There is a LOT of variables here.

Some points to consider.....

1] Hours per week?

2] Transported on trailer or on premisis (homeowner) ?

3] Kept in a dry garage, or left out in rain and elements every night and during winter season?

4] Used by owner or employees?

A mower that sees 50 hrs/week believe it or not will probably last longer (hr wise) than a mower used 2 hrs a week.

A trailered mower will wear out bushings and things will get "looser" much quicker than a home based mower.

A daily blow off of clippings and resting in a dry garage will allow a mower to far exceed one that was rode hard and left out to get wet. Even morning dew is no good for a mower.

And the one biggie that some forget is "who is using it". I've seen employees really abuse machinery over the years, and I've also seen some owner operators abuse machinery, but by far, the employee run machine is not going to last nearly as long.

It also depends on what you consider its "Life Expectancy". Is that when the engine dies? Deck gets beat up? Spindles get loose? Bushings get worn? Paint fades?

I usually sell my equipment well before any of the above starts. Because once it starts, its going to eat money. I sell mine after 4-5 years or 1500-2000 hrs. They still have PLEANTY of life left in them, and the way I keep my equipment, it will still be visually good looking. I'll sell a 4 y/o ZTR (~ $10K new) with 1500-2000 or more hours for $4-5K to a local homeowner looking for a GREAT mower for half off! Saves me getting nickel and dimed to death, and the homeowner is happy because they are able to afford a high end commercial mower that will last them the rest of their life, for half price.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think TLS pretty much covered my thoughts.