Life in the Lawn Biz

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gabe's, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Gabe's

Gabe's LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hello all,
    Commerical/Residential Lawn Care

What makes you run, (the good lord only knows what we go through getting a lawn care service started the headaches, the attitudes, the sleepless nites),. What makes you excel to dore more in lawn care.( Let's set aside the money issue, we all want to make a killing and we can never make enough money) But, what is it for some of us.

Thought I would just ask. Maybe I'm losing my focas, need to hear from others why we do it as a whole.

Thanks, Gabe
  2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Probably the two biggest reasons aside from the money would be ....1)Self-Employment 2)Nothing's like working outdoors on a beautiful day!!! I pity those indoor worker types. Some other reasons would be the opprotunity to meet and talk with a variety of people, getting to work with engines(which I love), and the great sense of pride you get when you look at a lawn just after you've done something to it and see how great it looks! Did I forget anything???

[Edited by Vibe Ray on 12-19-2000 at 05:00 AM]
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Definitely working outdoors is a major plus. The fresh air and moving around from job to job makes the work
    seem new, not boring. (sitting behind a desk all day
    would put me to sleep.)

And I think with a regular 9 to 5 job, there is only
    so much you can do to get ahead.

But being your own boss, you have the reins.
    The opportunity is there. You just have to be strong
    enough and smart enough to succeed. That's what
    makes owning our own business so appealing. There
    is nothing more satisfying than knowing that we
    control our own destiny.

We are able to make all our own decisions. There is no
    employer breathing down our necks telling us what to do.

We wouldn't be able to go back to working for anyone. We
    are way too spoiled now.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Two posts that are hard to follow! I don't mean "understand"-follow, I mean I couldn't have said it better myself!:)
  5. Gabe's

Gabe's LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hello all,
    Yes I must say, those are 2 very good respones.
    Thanks Gabe
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Gabe, don't bring me down man. I am getting into the business as we speak.I just spent over $25,000 to get my business going. $5000 in office furniture and new computer, $5000 on a new trailer, and $16,000 on mowers and the fixens. And all the other little stuff that doesn't even come to mind. I say, keep your chin up and keep moving forward. Even though I haven't even cut a lawn yet,( some of you may think I'm an idiot)the reason I think is quite evident,we wan't to be our own boss and control our own destiny. That is clear to me everyday I go to my job and let someone else control my destiny, watching their actions versus what I think should be done. I await the day I can walk into work and tell them I will be going on my own, hopefully sooner than later. I do realize it takes time and am willing to give it my all to make it happen for me and I hope you can look at it posatively from here on out and have better days. I know that I need to try it on my own and see what happens. I would like to thank everyone for all the information I have gotten from this site, and to enjoy your holidays. Sincerely, Randy Scott
  7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Vibe Ray said it best!!!
  8. GrassGoddess

GrassGoddess LawnSite Member

The money is GREAT, and the sense of accomplishment is just as good.
  9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

grassgoddess....your first post!!! Congrats!!
  10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to LawnSite GrassGoddess
    Cool Screen Name too. :)