1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Life is Good!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IrishHank, May 19, 2001.

1. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

:D I have been putting out a few BIDS to potential customers this past week, but no real luck. I got a call yesterday from a guy, and agreed to meet him at his house. When I pulled into his drive It seemed that he was pretty well off. His lot was an acre or so, real nice St Augustine Grass, not much work-some trimming. After looking around I did some figuring in my head and gave him a bid of $85.00 per cut. I figured it would be a little high, but I would rather one good account than two poor ones. Upon me telling him my bid he told me that another man(SCRUB) had been out that morning and bid $55 per cut! He wanted to know,"Could I match that?" Didn't have much to loose so I told him, " I am an honest guy. I do Good work at a fair Price, if I could do a quality job for $55.00 than my original bid would have been just that. You only get what you pay for, so $85.00 is my best price!"

I not only cut his lawn once a week now! He wrote me a check for 3 Months in advance!! This is my first account, I don't expect them all to be this good, but it sure is a good start!

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I think you got lucky $85.00 for less than 2 acres
    that pretty lucky. i would of chaged 50.00.
  3. IrishHank

I figured I had nothing to loose, I did not have any accounts yet! Now I have one good one, and plenty of time to keep it looking nice. Maybe the neighbors will take notice.
  4. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious how you came up with the price if this is your first account. The other guy who placed a bid earlier how do you know he was a scrub. I agree that one good acount is better than two bad ones. It has always been my experience that the new guy has to prove himself before he can say the sort of things you said. Did you have prior experience working for someone else? Shed a little light and give some details. What type of equipment will you be using if this is your first one. Don't get me wrong I commend you on getting what sounds to be a sweet account but give us a little extra info.

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

$85 for a one acre is a good deal for you and hopefully he will keep you. Why would the other guy be a scrub for bidding $55, sounds to be a good estimate to me if little or no trimming is needed.

Just a suggestion, if you find that you are finishing in VERY good time (less than a hour for example) consider adjusting the price. Your customer may notice this also and figure out you are making $85+ dollars an hour and find someone better. Beside, customers always like when you give them a better deal.

6. IrishHank

I have been doing maintenance(for someone else) on and off since I was 16. I have also spent many hot summers mowing at a private Golf Course, where nothing but perfection is excepted.
    I recently Graduated from college and decided to leave my sales job to do something that I enjoy.

I was quick to rush judgement when I called the low bidder a "SCRUB", lesson learned...

I am mowing with an Exmark Metro 48" walkbehind, and using various Stihl and Echo equipment. I just bought a 12' trailer yesterday, so they fit with no problem.

I walked the property and decided it would be about 1.5 hours worth of work. I would like to think my work is worth $45.00 an hour. I decided to add a little extra to my bid, because it is about 2o miles from my house.

As for the comments I made to the customer, it may have been the salesman coming out in me. I plan to give my customers quality work at a fair price, I did not want to start off as a cheap LCO. When you change prices for a customer it shows that you are unsure of your work. I know not all will work out as good as this, but it is a nice start.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Good luck in the biz...
  8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Congrats on getting the job...changing the subject...May I suggest that instead of just walking the property...measure it with your wheel.... Start keeping track of all your times for trimming , cutting etc..You will be on your way to knowing your actual production times.. I know that there has been a few posts on this and some will say that they don't need to measure...I disagree ( just my humble opinion).. It will help you in the future ...Just remember that all property's are not the same... I have 3 different rates I use... from fast, medium, slow. It will also take the guess work out of fertilizing etc ... It also looks professional when customer see's you measuring.. good luck
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I wouldn't adjust anything. I would focus on doing a really good job for the money. If he asks about the price being really high, maybe you can hagle with the price a little.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Really................take the good ones when you can get em...........there sure ain't many out there.