1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Life of a residential mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ericlemson, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

How many hours should I expect a residential type riding mower to last? For example, a John deere L series.
  2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I dont have much expereince with res mowers, but i am going to guess 500 hrs with a strict maintenance program, possibly more
  3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

All depends. I have a JD LX 277 purchased new in 2000 that has roughly 800 hours

Depends means how you take care of it, I have been running synthetic oil since the beginning, even sucked as much out of hydrostatic transmission as possible and replace a little ea year. Grease spindles and other fittings frequently. Keep it clean. I installed a "battery maintainer" and am still using the original battery, It just started fine a couple of days ago. Winter before last I pulled the deck off, cleaned, repainted, an replaced bearings, idler pulleys ect where bearings might be suspect. This unit still looks like new. It was really retired a couple of years ago when I purchased a Scag ZTR mower which cut my mowing time by 2/3. I keep this unit to pull a cart, to move my larger utility trailer in tight spaces and to pull a fertilizer spreader. It's too good and handy to give up especially considering it is much easier to back up to hitch up to a trailer than a ZTR.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

With the right care and as long as its taken care of, you should be able to see at least 1000 hours out of it. I've seen tractors at my dealer with 1500-2000 hours on them.
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

But that's a real JD made in Moline, not cheap tin. That kind of quality can't be gotten in the big box.
  6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

If you buy it a store that's not green on the outside, you didn't get a real Deere. The JD X300 etc etc are good mowers, but not commercial. The JD's at Home Cheapo and bLowes are trash, you're paying extra for green paint vs. an MTD or something similar. Toro and Cub Cadet are both guilty parties here too, they sell trash there as well. General rule of thumb, if it's from a chain store, it's probably not the real thing when it comes to mowers.