Life of Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by freshcut, Apr 15, 2002.

1. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a home with 5 acres of land and all five acres needs cut. I'm new at the grass cutting business and seeing the prices of commercial mowers, I'd like to know the life span for a Hustler Super Z 25hp Kaw? If properly maintened, how many years would one of these puppies last? I plan to just cut the 5 acre lot for the house only. Also, what are the maint. costs like? How often do you change blades, belts, oil etc. and whats the estimated cost per season? I'm new at this and I'm trying to determine if it makes sense to spend 7 - 9k for a mower or spend less and replace it sooner. Thanks

2. Artman

Artman LawnSite Member

The frame, deck, engine, and hydraulics and all other components and parts are engineered for 500 to 750 hours useage PER YEAR! Life expectancy, under normal use, with proper maintenance is 5 to 10 years for commercial cutting. A homeowner mowing 5 acres will take around 2 hours per week times 25 cuttings equals 50 hours per year. That means you can expect a lifetime of around 50 years!

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe time goes faster in New Jersey, but after cutting lawns for almost 40 years, and unless I really miss my guess, I think you might want to add a bit more time to that "2 hour estimate" for cutting your 5 acres. Otherwise, you might be bringing your mower back to the dealer saying something is wrong with it.
    Pete:confused:

4. Artman

Artman LawnSite Member

My handy-dandy mowing calculator says that at 5 miles per hour, with a 60" deck a person can mow 3.03 acres per hour. Changing the speed, the width of cut, and of course, the number of obstacles will alter that some, but that gives you a starting point.

5. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any suggestions for the maintenance costs. I'm trying to figure out what it would cost to maintain the Huster Z each season or year. Thanks for you help.

6. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I bet you that with my super z I can cut that 5 acres in less than a hour

7. freshcut

freshcut LawnSite Member

Come on over and show me!

8. P&J Lawncare

I am super busy right now but any time you feel like traveling you are free to come to oregon and try my z. I have a 60 acre account that you can demo my mower on.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I gotta ask, how long does it take, and how much do you get for the 60 acres??????? I'm guess at least $40 an acre.........
    Pete

10. P&J Lawncare

we do it in one day (four zero turns) and you are close with your $40 an acre guess.