life of leaf vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Angelo, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

I was wondering how long your leaf vac lasts you? I was looking into a billy goat 16hp swing mount. Whether you tell me in hours/years/jobs whatever I need an idea to justify purchasing one. I know its time saving but I am only doing it part time for now, once I go full time ya its probably going to be worth it.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Who needs a leaf vac. Just mulch them up with the mower every week or so and they disappear!

:D

3. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think he asked about mulching!

Lasher

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

as long as you properly maintain them they will last a long time. I just got a billygoat 16hp this year and love it. I know a few guys with giant vacs that have had them for over 5 years of rugged abuse. They are pretty beefy machines, and will last long if you treat them well.

I dont think the mulching comment was necessary either. If its not on the subject your talking about, keep it to yourself.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should just hire someone to do the leaves for you.
    Or mulch them, wait no I think you should hire someone to mulch your properties for you. Did I just waste your time??

I just got a 11 hp Hiway loader, should have gotten a 16 but it's too heavy to move around. Next Spring a 16 hp will be mounted on the used dump truck we are getting. Maintenance will make the difference.

6. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

I have gotten a lot of calls from people who have already got there leaves in a pile by the street and are willing to pay good money to get them sucked up, I just needed to make sure that the machine will hold up. I have looked at a few used machines and the impellers were in bad shape the metal housing has numerous holes in it, but as you said with proper maintenance and careful use it should hold up. I am just figuring that the homeowners got rocks/twigs/and whatever else they could rake up in the piles.

7. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We get about 4-5 years out of our Giant Vacs so far and then replace them.. They are pretty rugged and the newer ones have liners. I have taken mine to the welder on a few occasions when a large rocks gets sucked up. We also try not to suck up too much dirt. It really wears the housing out. We also have problems at times with the Briggs 11 hp engine getting leaf dust in the air cleaner, carb. I believe that was due to our negligence, though.