Life under a mower deck........Contamination!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fescue Farmer, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Help me out on this one - How concerned should I be about spreading weed seeds, brown patch, or any other unwanted thing from yard to yard via my mower deck and/or tires?

Usually, on each job, before the mowers get loaded back on the truck, I will blow any debris off of the front and/or top of the deck before going to the next job. How effective can this be though?

I mowed a weed infested yard that was sadly fescue free (horror of horrors!!!!:eek: ) and then proceeded to a lovely 3 3/4" thick fescue lawn (aaahhhhhh :) ). Halfway through the job, it hit me like a ton of mulch - I may be contaminating this yard! Visions of guys in gas masks and full body suits hosing my Hustler down with Clorox ran through my head!

Even if the surface of the deck is clean, life under a mower deck is nasty! I am already thinking about changing my weekly route according to weed grass lawns first; thoroughly clean mowers; then mow weed free lawns. Am I going overboard, or should I be legitimately concerned?

dean\'s momma1-1.jpg
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, foremost you should be concerned about spreading disease. But yeah you will cross contaminate your good yards.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am always worried about when I clean the decks out. What am I breathing in and absorbing through my skin.
  4. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

When I get build up on the underside of my decks, they are packed pretty solid. I don't worry about dropping build up from the last yard onto the current yard.

Actually, I wish there was some way to accomplish this, then I wouldn't have to clean out the decks as much. And it could be done at a point where contamination wouldn't be a problem any way.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Fungal movement is a concern,however weed seeds are little concern to me. How many lawns are not treated for weeds?
    And the number of weed seeds that you will actually transfer from one lawn to another??
    And then you have germination rates...........
  6. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

It's not good to spread weeds, but it partly keeps you in business. When the weeds do show, they pay you to spray. But I wouldn't purposely do it. It is a thought though.
  7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes - we always wash our mowers thoroughly after every lawn.
  8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Jason Pallas-How the hell do you get anything done? Washing them, with water and soap, or blowing them off? What do you mean?
  9. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Jason Pallas,

HOW do you wash each mower thoroughly after each lawn?

Do you have some high-end clientel that would pay for something like that? If I thoroughly washed each mower inbetween jobs, I would have to wash it alot - so much that I would have to let 30-40% of my accounts go because I wouldn't have time to mow! :)

Now mind you, If I had some clients who would pay double/triple/quadruple or whatever, to thoroughly wash my mowers before they rolled onto their turf, I would probably let the others go or start a new crew up. Might as well wash boots and trimmers too!
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Uhuh,and you only have 2 lawns,right???????????