Lifes Descisions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Oct 12, 2003.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Ive been wanting to ask this one for awhile here...

Maybe it is geared more to the younger such as eric and steve..but you elders chime in too.

Everyone here seems to be happy cutting grass and doing the landscaping aspect of the job. But what happens after high school...keep cutting while in college? maybe no college (but thats a bad idea)

Is this the career path which you want to take for the rest of your working days..i am asking myself this reguarly but wanted to know what others thought...lets see what we can come up with.

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

One from the old guys. Get an education. Do not limit yourself to one thing. Your priorities and interests will change thru the years. Later in life if you decide being a LCO is what you want to do or just use as a tool to reach goals is up to you. Lots of times it seems that people wake up one day and realize, I have two kids a mortgage car payment 35 years old and have never done the things I set out for.

Good Luck

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Get an education and find your niche. If it becomes a job, you have lost your passion.
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I Just dont think college is for everyone. After 12 long boring years of school I chose to skip the college route and continue My landscaping career. Im now 19, I bought my first home 3 months after high school graduation and im living a comfortable life. I know way too many college graduates making $25,000 a year with a 4 year degree and still living at home because they just dont make enough money to be on there own. Many people looked at me like I was crazy not going to college yet as of now I dont know of one other person graduated with who is a home owner and fully supports themself. Something to think about......Ya gotta do what feels right to yourself and not what everyone tells you, you should be doing.
  5. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

Evan has a good point. I've had loads of folks with degrees working for me in the past (inside and outside the green industry).

If I were you I would first think about what industry you really want to work in and if you want to be self-employed or not? If you want to make a career in the Green Industry then you should consider what a degree in horticultural or grounds maintenance or even landscape design could offer you? Have you thought about that? If you take this seriously as a career and you love it (foremost reason) then do what it takes to be the cream of the crop in it....which ofcourse applies to any field.
    I personally have about 9 years experience in install and maintenance. I got out of the industry for about 3 years (I once wrote a post about this). I went back into it to be serious about my own landscape business and I have done pretty well so far with my new company. I will tell you that I do regret not going to UGA to study landscape design way back (I instead went to GSU and studied communications). However, my minor regrets aside there are tons of things I am in the process of working on to make my path a great success: ALCA certifications...ALCA membership, PLCAA membership...UGA certifications, etc. and nothing has kept me from good design books and CAD software to further that interest and possibilty. See what I mean? Hope this sheds any light.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think everybody thinks a little bit different and has a different opinion. you should do what you think is right. I decided to go the college route. i knew i wouldnt make 4 years of college, so i went and got a two year associates degree in turfgrass science. through out college, i ran my own little side business. after college came the tough decision time. for my last semester i did an internship with the Brickman Group. They pitched me an offer to come work for them, as well as i had an offer from a local LCO. i had many sleepless nights wondering which route i wanted to go, working for myself or somebody else. I ended up taking a job with a local LCO, that will help me signifcantly grow my career as time goes on. I couldnt be happier right now. i now do not have the headaches of owning a business of my own, and am so happy where i work now. theres a lot to be said for working for somebody else. a lot less stress..... I think i made the right choice, and am loving life. Thats all that matters to me i long as you are happy.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I was in this career more as a hobby while in HS and i pursued a degree in horticulture at college and now do this full time and make very good money doing it.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that it is really up to you. I personally would go to college and get some experience. You should always have something else to fall back on. But then again with the little jobs that are now available for college graduates go full tilt towards what you love and what you passion is in
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

You can still run your business as you go to college !
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Get an education FIRST!
    I'm doing this after twenty four years in corporate America in which I have become less than tolerant of the B.S. involved.
    BUT without that experience I would not be able to do what I'm doing now. Just my view on it, But don't give up on that education even if you decide that this is what you want to do for the rest of your life.The education will always serve you throughout your years.