Lifespan of a 21" commercial mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 22, 2006.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying to figure out the costs that I incurr while mowing. My main unit is a 21" Exmark with the Kawasaki engine and a I have an 06 commercial Lawnboy. Does anyone know the amount of hours each unit should last? My guess is about 1 000. Is that correct or not? Thanks

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a safe #...IF you take care of them...

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I have Honda HRC 216's 21"s that are 7+ yrs old. Well over 1000 hrs I suspect.

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

yea the whole 1000 hour estimate is way way way off in my book im well over 1000 hours on a residential lawn boy and its abused

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

"Lifespan" to too ambigous of a measure. The question is rather when do you stop putting money into repairs and/or replacement parts. The mowing deck may last a very long time, many thousands of hours. But, the engine may not last that long, so you may wish to repower with a new engine, or put a short-block on the old one. Transmissions may show signs of wear and need parts to be replaced. Drive cables, wheels, height adjustment levers, ... (the list goes on, on).

I have an old model LawnBoy. The deck has probably seen well over 2,000 service hours. But, it has been short-blocked, many sets of replacement wheels, many ground drive cables, transmission bushing changes, pinion gear replacement, rebuild of the rear wheel drive assembly (keyed gear). I keep it as a spare. We used it all day recently when the ignition module failed on my newer LawnBoy (Duraforce engine).

My point is there is no definition of "lifespan," only when you choose not to do more replacements and repairs.

6. eastham

eastham LawnSite Member

My dura force 6.5 2-stroke lawnboy went 700hrs before it needed major repairs. I use it ruthlessly, but very carefully. Never go into tall grass without having been there before etc. I clean it every few days, and always did general maint. weekly. It still looks like new. :weightlifter:

I used to have only toros, they went about 500hrs before they needed major repairs. No matter how I cleaned and maint. them they always looked tired and beat.

7. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

21"? They make them that small?! :laugh: J/K I don't think I have used a 21" in about 3 years, Thank God.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have (2) commercial lawnboys that are on their 8th year, used all day, every day (march-mid december)
    original engines, decks. some repairs occasionally, but never anything major.

i have no experience with the new 4 stroke though... other then they bolt right on my decks when i need them down the road.... some day:weightlifter:

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

18 commercial years on my robin . 15 on my honda. i had a kawi go 10 yrs.

10. Deere_Daze

Deere_Daze LawnSite Member

I used to have an old Honda HR214 that was 20 years old when I got rid of it. The engine smoked a little at startup, but it did the job it was designed for.