Lifespan of push mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering what the rest of you pros are using for pushmowing routes?

I've only been using belt drive, self propelled 21" Ariens which only last for about a year before the drive systems become prone to failures.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Toro commercial 21" all the way for me.I hear exmarks are OK.I may try one on my next purchase.Would like to try the 26" Exmark but it is pretty pricey for a small walk behind. $1700 I was quoted.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

yea, I want a 26" exmark too...but I heard there not that reliable?

4. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

We use Snappers and have pretty good luck. Our 19 inch push is 5 years old and never even had an oil change(it was $100 new). Our self propelled 21 is a Snapper too, only done a drive belt on it. It was around $500. We dont use them as much as some, however.

5. Phish

Phish LawnSite Member

I've been using a 21" Snapper H-Vac for 9 yrs. (w/ a 2 cycle W-Robin) and Never had to put it in the shop once. I just recently had to replace the bearings for the back axle, and the trans., but nothing major, ever..
    willy

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have run my Snapper 6hp Robin since 2001, she has flat out cut some grass. Sure I bought some small parts but nothing major. The machine rusn like new and is still as tight as new.

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I've bought 2 honda homeowner models because their light, and leave an excellent cut. They last me around 100 hours before the drive system craps out. Other then that, everything else is great. With that being said, i have my honda commercial with over 130 hours in 1 year and it is flawless. I just wish it had the same vacuum that my homeowner model has. Could be the blades?

8. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

Another vote for the Snapper Commercial line. Mine is over two years old and has not had any problems that I didn't cause. I did brake off the crankcase bolt taking the blade off for sharpening. The machine shop that extracted it for me said I had gotten some grit in the threads which is why the bolt failed. I don't doubt it as I mow a couple very sandy yards with the mower. The Snapper I had before was a solid unit except the 6.75 hp B/S engine that was junk. I have never been a briggs fan. Had to replace the spring between the transmission and the drive handle on the old Snapper two or three times but have not had to yet on the commercial.

9. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a crappy Troy Built home owner 21" self propelled, mulcher, side discharge, bagger mower. Never have changed the oil, and it just keeps going. It is 7 years old.

10. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

4 or 5 years old would be great, but I'm averaging only 1 with mine. Any suggestions for how to idiot proof your mowers from careless employees? (I'm suspicious the damage is happening during loading/unloading)