1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lift assist on a dovetail landscape trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Oct 26, 2009.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I know there are hundreds of threads, but just couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a dove tail trailer and I had the gorilla lift on it. I broke 2 cables in 1 year and took it off. I don't think it was built for a dovetail, but I rigged it up to work.

Anyone have a lift assist on a dovetail? What brands? What about the elegator? Pics?

2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe the Elogator will work on dove tails, and the Eric Elm gate assist will work too, but it is dangerous. I think it is ericelmslawnsite or something like that, its gives detailed instructions on how to build it. I have had it on all my trailers and a couple of friends also use it, and it works great! My eric elm gate assist cost me $35. in materials to make.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search on my name. I have some pics on here of mine. They're probably sometime in '06. Tony
  4. havok1359

havok1359 LawnSite Member

i use to work for a trailer mfg. and Ive help build & give easy ideas for the guys looking for that assistance on their gates. The gorilla lift is basically a fancy garage door spring with a Lexus price. The way our trailers were being built we technically did the same concept for about $20. But the safest & long life setup for a heavy gate is another form of spring assist. Most companies install a heavy duty spring on the gooseneck ramps to assist with those massive ramps. All your doing is installing one on a landscape trailer ramp. Simply fix and dont have any worries about tripping over a cable or getting whipped by it WHEN it finally snaps. The HD spring is basically a coiled up 5/16" thick spring welded to trailer and assist gate up and down with little effort.
  5. Steve Voss

Steve Voss LawnSite Member

Hows does the gorrilla not work on the dovetail whats different..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. johnslandscaping

johnslandscaping LawnSite Member

I use a double barrel made by rack em mfg. Works great.
    I paid 150. For it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said.
  8. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

This couldn't be more true. I get springs for $12 at a local garage door place.
  9. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

On our Isuzu NPR, we use a elegator gate assist along with the two factory torsion springs built into the gate. Works great.