1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lift Gate vs Ramp vs P-van

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greendave, Mar 9, 2004.

1. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

This may or may not have been discussed before, I've seen posts about ramps on box trucks for lawn equipment, but....... as I'm looking for a box truck for my LCO, rather than continue with a truck and trailer for reasons of security, out of weather storage, and 'rest room' issues, I find lots of nice used box trucks out there with hydraulic lift gates on them. Does anyone here actually use a setup with a lift gate for getting your equipment in and out of your truck? I can see lots of disadvantages to using one, safety being a big one, but are there any advantages? Should I even consider it? Why and why not? Second, does anyone use a P-van? There are lots of aluminum Chevy P-vans available around here, some quite reasonable. Who uses one? How do you like it? I used to drive for a newspaper company; we had several, a couple that I really enjoyed driving ( I remember 'ol #17, had a 350, 4 speed, shifted soooo smoothly, actually had better pickup than the ones with 454's..... and it was actually QUIET inside). Yes, I realize the wheel wells are an issue, a ramp over them with storage undeneath in will handle that easily.