1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lifted Trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Duramax8832, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone is usuing a lifted truck for every day work? Id like to do a 4 inch lift on my Gmc. Should put me about the same height as a ford. Just wondering if it will make towing the trailers any harder. Maybe some 18 or 20 inch wheels too.. Let me have some opinions please.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

climbing in and out of a lifted work truck gets old real fast. You'll just have to add a big drop hitch to level the trailer. Don't forget about step bars too. I had a 5.5" lift in my Jeep CJ7 with no step bars it was a 42" step to the door jam.
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

GM's are always low so a lift wouldnt hurt. Its more of a comfort thing I guess, can you handle jumping in and out, etc... If you get a quality kit with good shocks/springs/shackles/etc...it shouldnt affect anything really...but if you put bigger rubber on there you might want to upgrade your brakes, especially if towing.
  4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If you truly work out of your truck all day every day... a lift is not an option if you ask me. It just doesn't make business sense for a work truck. Bed is higher to load materials, will affect towing, will affect gas mileage. I don't think it is professional as well.
  5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

hes not saying lift it to the sky...he wants to lift his already low GM truck to the height of a Ford superduty or Dodge Ram.
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Well I think it is a waste of money, but we are talking a 4" lift kit not a leveling kit.
  7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I've had several lifted trucks. The height is probably not a factor considering you only want a mild lift, but keep in mind that the front end will see a little more abuse as well as the driveshafts and u-joint, cv-joint with a 4 inch suspension lift. Bigger tires are harder on everything from wheel bearings to trans and engine (but not much harder).

For a suspension lift I'd suggest going with an add-a-leaf type setup in the rear because replacement leafs may not handle weight as well as your stockers.

Th best option, in my opinion, would be to go with a 3 inch body lift with proper bed supports. This way you retain the factory ride and weight capacity, and keep the center of gravity as low as possible. A body lift is usually a lot cheaper as well so you can put an extra couple hundred toward tires/rims.

Good luck with it.
  8. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome looking truck Nick, I recently sold my 91 explorer i had lifted on 38's and i miss it
  10. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Heres my lifted... LOL NOT I'd never be caught dead in this thing!:hammerhead: