lifter nosie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mock, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mock

mock LawnSite Member

does any body out there have some advice on stoping lifter nosie in a kohler 23hp we've a lot of stuff and some time it stop and then it's back. any help?

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

How many hours on the engine first

3. mock

mock LawnSite Member

1, 420 the other rebilt with olny 1 or 2 they say it is a common problem but we all no it sounds like crap

4. nosparkplugs

you should only expect 1,000 hours out of an air cooled 23hp V-twin Kohler, 2,500hrs out of a 23HP Liquid cooled V-twin Kohler. Sounds like something is getting ready to "go" in the engine, oil additive might quite the lifter noise, but your "buying" time for the inevitable. My last 20hp V-twin Kohler went at 750hrs, catastrophic engine failure, with no warning, the connecting rod went, and piece's of the piston were in the head, via the value opening's. With that said I am running AMSOIL fully synthetic engine lubricants, shooting for 2000hrs out of my new Kohler V-twin. I feel your pain, I have bought my last gas ZTR mower. now switching to diesel ZTR's over 3000hrs easily. I might try draining some oil, then adding Marvel Mystery oil run the engine at idle, it might fill the lift up, and then change oil to(synthetic brand) & filter, that has worked for me in the past.

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Lifter noise is a sign engine failure. All you can do is add some over priced oil which really won't solve the problem, be glad it lasted as long as it has time to replace motor maybe..?

6. nosparkplugs

Turf Commando, thats right, it might fix it until Mock can make a decision. That expensive oil does wonders in a New 0 hour engine, extending engine life.

7. mock

mock LawnSite Member

thats the problem every body say that but the engines do it from day one we have rebilt the one with 1 or 2 hours on it 3 times the hour meter shows 2,045 on it ad some more for the actual time because it is on a ferris mower we get a lot of hour out of the motor but we have tried all kinds of stuff some tech tell us it's because the lifters are laid flat in the motor they asy it doesnt hurt but we are trying to get rid of the nosie. we also run lift lubes and marvel mystery oil in it any aways.

8. nosparkplugs

That might be the problem your rebuilding, you can get a new 23HP kolher for $1,500.00, and 250.00 for install, that what I paid. These engines can be rebuilt, but you can drop a New Kohler V-twin in little as 2hrs, vs the down time to rebuild, just a thought.

9. mock

mock LawnSite Member

thats the thing we do all our own work also we had the block bored 10 over and so far it has'nt been bad price wise this way, the parts house's around here like to stick it to us because we do all our own stuff instead of taking it to them, but next time I think we are going to replace it or short block it for about 700 to 800 $ it's nice having a shop to work in save us a lot of money

10. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I had lifter noise last season right when i bought the mower (used 156 hours). 40 hours later she blew a headgasket. The mechanic said the lifters were bend. So he replaced the lifters and the headgasket (I paid for it, outta warrenty). 2 days later after i got it back, the lifter noise came back. 2 days after the noise came back, i blew another headgasket and bent the lifters. It turns out the mechanic put the engine back together wrong. I knew he did somthing wrong because it was low on power when i got it back. This time they paid for it and admited their mistake (thank god lol). The first time was $400.