Lifting 800 lb. Trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnspecialties, Sep 21, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I'll try to make this not too long.

Today I installed two 10' crepes B&B. The ball is 30" and according to the nursery, each weighs about 800 lbs.. So on the New Holland I have the front end loader and the post hole digger in back.

Well, once the holes are marked and dug, it's time to get the trees. I know the NH can handle it with my 5K capacity chain. No problem except, remember all I have in back is a post hole digger. Not much butt back there.

Here's the question. Where in the heck is the best place to haul these muthas around in relation to the ground? When I had them about 2-3 ft. off the ground, the rear tires were scary light. A few times they would come off the ground a little and I'm thinking, "Here I go!". When I took the second one off the truck I kept it high in the air and it was way more stable. Since the tree was closer to the tractor and the weight was pushing more downward at the center of the tractor, it felt much more sturdy. The big problem there is if I do get into a jam, I can't drop the tree in a hurry.

Face it, the key is having way more weight back there but I was in a tight spot and had to make do. Either way, the trees look great and the New Holland is asleep still on the trailer.:)

2. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

as with all equipment keep you load low
    if you have it 6 in of the ground and it gets light in the back well you are only going to go down 6 in in the front
    but, if you have it 6 feet in the air and it gets lighton the back you are going to kind of sling shot foward and then you are going to tip to the side (bad day)

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

You already said it, put more weight on the back end.
    You knew you were going to be picking up trees with it.....................:nono:

4. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

You could have held the bucket high, but put more chain on it so the tree was closer to the ground, just be carefull running around with the bucket so high as its not the best idea.

Or you could have had someone hang off the post hole digger :hammerhead:

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

pallet forks pick the bottom of the ball and you are off to the races alot safer...

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

pallet forks,

also liquid fill the rear tires.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

get a few beers in me and i think ill dead lift that sucker up onto a truck for you

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Great points, but.....

1: Yes, I knew I was going to be picking up 800 lb. trees, but without the post hole digger, I'd be digging holes for 30" root balls with a shovel.:dizzy:
    Getting too old for that.
    2: Didn't even think about extending the chain. The darned thing is 20' long but I had it wrapped around the bucket:hammerhead:
    3: Pallet forks? Hmmm....:eek:
    4: Liquid filled tires:nono: I do too much aerating, fert. and seed spreading weight, but good point.

Hopefully, I won't have this problem again. But if I do, the price goes up.:laugh:Thanks y'all

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

filling the tires with liquid will have no affect on the other functions of the tractor. use water and antifreze... leave them that way.

all the old farmerd here do it. also makes finding a leak easier.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

YardPro, the weight becomes an issue when working on tilled soil. Mine are loaded and it is too heavy. I have a 3 point hitch set of prongs I made to lift stuff like this, Get it off the trailer and on the ground then lift it with the 3 point hitch. You could also have maybe run the chain between the bucket and your grille to keep the weight in close.