Lifting a Ztr for maintenance etc...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by che, May 7, 2002.

1. che

che LawnSite Member

I've read some of the back posts ,about lifting a ztr for blade changing etc.. and most of you guys seem to use the Jungle jack which I would buy it for $150 bucks if I was in the business but what is the cheapest alternative for a hoemowner ? does the car ramp really work?are there other less expensive jacks? thanks for your input.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Any exposed beams in your garage? Just buy a racheting chain hoist (Northern) and loop around a beam. Hook to front of deck and hoist up. May want to secure a "safety" chain to another beam...."Just in case!"

If not, a Jungle Jack would be my second option. Just dont know how "high" they lift the mower? I lift my Lazer up off my trailer till it hits the rear "wheelie bars". Zip, Zip, Zip off the blades, scrape, Zip, Zip, Zip ON the new sharp blades, and rachet down and GO, GO , GO!!

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

personly, i just grab the bars going out to the front wheels and pick the mower, then someone slides a jack under it.

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Sorta like Joshua, I grab the front of the deck on my Lazer Z (in the middle) with my right hand...lift it up...and then slide the breeko blocks under it with my left hand. Piece o' cake.

:D

Really, the Jungle Jack is the easiest and fastest way to go...plus it is easily transportable. You can't go wrong with the Jungle Jack...homeowner or LCO...anyone with a ZTR would find it super handy.

5. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2 ton chain hoist in my shop.

6. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

should have the bought the toro with the z-stand

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a hoist hooked to a stud in my garage ceiling. I lift up the front and then set the wheels on blocks just to be safe. It gives me plenty of room to do what I need to do. I think it costs me about $30.00 dollars total for chain, hooks and hoist. Good luck and be safe with the z's, thats alot of weight to fall on you.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i mised it ,che . what did u end up with..
    it would be worth yourtime to just build a ramp say 3 ft wide and strong enough to hold the load. as i remember u said u were in construction wk ,so shouldnt be a
    problem for you. over the long haul u will find its the easiest way.
    approach the ramp from the side .
    put the outside front castor on the ramp. slowly turn the z up onto the ramp
    until its high enough to work on every thing.pull the emergency hand break up and u are set. the ramp would be better, anchored well as u dont need it sliding or tipping on ya.those wit ramps can check under the deck in a few seconds several times a day.
    the hoist is a good idea but here locally we had a fella whos grandson found him in the garage under his mower recently. not a good thing for the kid muchless the grandfather guess something broke or something.

9. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Che,

Seems like Jungle Jacks regularly appear on Ebay.com. I got one @ $115.00 last week.

Simple, portable, loanable (for a fee of course), and is out of the way if need be.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

10. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

I use a 3 ton hydraulic jack. Takes 30 seconds to raise it up. I put the jack under the heavy metal bracket next to one of the rear wheels. Then a jack stand for insurance.