Lifting a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckydooley, May 7, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I know this has been covered, and I have searched the threads and read up on it, but I cant find the answer to my question.

I bought a Hustler 54" Fastrak SD. I have managed to get under it to sharpen the blades and scrape, but I dont feel real comfortable about how I have been doing it, and want to find a better way.

I do not have a feasable way of mounting a hoist. I can use a floor jack and jack it, but there does not appear to be a good location to put stands. I would like to raise it as high as possible. Can I put the stands under the floating deck and let the frame rest on the deck. This appears the only way to get stands under it and get it high enough.

Am I missing somthing? Is there a better way? I will be performing most all service, and want it secure. I dont want to be fooling around under a 850 lb machine without knowing it is not going to come down on me.

Thanks for replys!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I use the floor jack and then put some wood under the front tires....got some cedar 4x6 pieces that make it secure. On scag you can put the jack stands under the front wheel frames.....I don't like putting jacks under the frame either. When I change hydro same deal jack it up and put cedar under all the tires and it rock solid.

3. luckydooley

Thanks ed! Anyone else?

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I drive the front tires up onto cinder blocks, then use the scissor jack under the deck. the jack has a recess that the deck fits into. Works good for me, gives me enough room to get under there and do what we gotta do.

5. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

if you have some truck ramps for putting a 4 wheeler in the back of your bed run it up on those halfway but make sure to have a chain to your tie down points on your truck keeping the mower from rolling back but yeah def find a way to secure it because if one of those dudes fall youre as good as dead 100 pounds of ramps + 1000 pound mower = squished dude

6. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I found a used Jungle Jack for 100 bucks it works great, if im out and the mower is running slower than expected and I think the deck is full of junk ill run my mower up the gate of the trailer with some hanging off to look under it. If u have a tree in your yard or even tow hooks etc on your truck,put a strap on the roll over bar and drive forward slowly the front will come up and you can stick a stand under it then.I found out the front would come up when I hit a few low hanging limbs before folding my bar over.

7. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i drive one tire up the gate of the tailer change two blades/scrape
    that side then drive up the other side and change the other blade
    and scrape that side...no way it will fall on me...just a thought...

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this Superlift last week on ebay for $100.00. The bracket (1st photo), mounted on the frame, is made specifically for YOUR Fastrak Superduty. It works just like it should. I have plenty of room to use my air gun for blade removal. :usflag:

Superlift1.jpg

Superlift2.jpg

Superlift1.jpg

Superlift2.jpg

9. luckydooley

I love the way the superlift works. I cant seem to find one on ebay. Guess Ill keep looking.

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

i lift the front of the mower up then push a jack stand up under the front caster assembly with my foot, then i set it down and put another jack stand up under there to be safe. its a good workout.