1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting, hoisting, moving, and placing rocks and boulders?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Steve C, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Steve C

Steve C LawnSite Member

I was talking to one of the guys today and he asked me if I could build something to make it easier for him to hoist, lift, place and move rocks and boulders. He uses either the bobcat or the loader.

We wondered about some type of ice-tongs like device that could pick up the rock from the top. I'm thinking of some kind of closing jaw device that relies on the lifting action and the weight of the object to close the jaws. Clear as mud?

If you know what I'm talking about and you have any ideas, I like to hear them. Otherwise I'll see if I can get some type of sketch or drawing posted.

Thanks

2. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

How about a small logging-type grapple?

Or a regular rock grapple they make for the Bobcat?

3. east sooke man

east sooke man LawnSite Member

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A peavy???? :D

5. PurpHaze

One of the rock companies around here uses a closing sling type contraption. I think it's made of nylon and kind of looks like Chinese fingers. When they get the rock set they unhook the bottom and the sling falls away as they lift it.

6. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Steve- I have the answer for YOU!!! Go to www.rockjaw.com. Perfect for skid steers or a backhoe.

7. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

That would be interesting to watch - trying to move a rock with a peavy. No, I meant a hydraulic jaw-type thing that grabs the logs (or in this case - rocks).

8. PurpHaze

LOL... a grapple then it is. :D

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Any thing steel will scar the rocks and they don't grow back. Use a nylon sling, there are a couple of ways to wrap them depending on the shape of the boulders. You can also get much better placement this way. Sorry I don't have any links or pictures. We do a lot of boulder work here in the desert so the straps are pretty common, check with a local crane company they probably use straps for some jobs and could point you in the right direction.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Way back when, we just used a looped chain with a couple "J" hooks. Either attatched it to the teeth of a skid steer bucket or the teeth on a back-hoe bucket. Sometimes we had to chisel some handles on the rock so that the "J" hooks could get a bite. This is how we set the stone for these waterfalls.

Sterling Farms EAST Waterfall-LARGE.jpg