1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lifting the front of my walkbehind over obsticales

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swim, Nov 3, 2007.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new Exmark Turf Tracer with the 60in deck. I was using an old scag 52in walkbehind with a fixed deck. I was able to lift the front easily over roots, rocks, etc. With the design of the Exmark grips I can only lift it for a brief second. Great for most situations but the Scag I could leave it up all day if I needed to. They both have velkes on them. I understand the advantages of the new mower but wish I could figure out how to keep it up when needed a little longer. Any help would be great. Thanks
  2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I love the design of the pistol grips too. I would take an older Turf Tracer with the pistol grips over a brand new one with the ECS controls any day. I have a 60'' TT it helps if you slow down really quick and then let the handles out while trying to push down the power of the mower works with you its really easy.

Also, the steeper of an angle you hold the mower at the easier it will be to hold it there. I can hold mine up all day I only weigh about 160.
  3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same thing (60" TT"). Instead of pushing down pull back on the handles and let out on the controls some. Also, keep the tank full of gas helps. Play around with it and you will get the hang of it. I am not much more than 150lbs and it works fine for me.
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

dont worry buddy it happens to the best of us at some time. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Afaik there is no way to keep a float in the air indefinitely, riding unlimited distance wheelies is purely a fixed deck feature.
    Really blows, the only advantage of the float is just that, it is somewhat more forgiving of mistakes in that it adjusts a little bit for terrain inconsistencies. But other than that I love my fixed decks.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

There used to be some pretty heated discussions on this problem with the Hustler super wb's a few years ago.

I like pistol grips but we have cut out anything that requires a walk behind.
  7. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever added weight to the back of a walk behind to see if it helps or the back of the ECS handle controls. I may give it a try tomorrow.