1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lifting ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KTNC, Mar 22, 2002.

1. KTNC

KTNC LawnSite Member

What's the best way to lift a ZTR for cleaning and changing blades if you don't have a trailer (non commercial)? I'm thinking a floor jack and jack stand, but will that be high enough? Also does the engine being in the back impede the mower's ability to lift high enough?
  2. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

I have a chain hoist connected to rafter in garage and connect it to the front wheels to lift. You should be able to get mower high enough to change blades and clean under deck. Used jack to begin with, took too much time. Hoist seems to be best and safest way to go.
  3. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

PLEASE get a Jungle Jack. I tried jacking up my ZTR last years with a floor jack and stands -It wasn't stable enough, Long story -I got my finger stuck between the jack stand and the mower. It was aweful.
    After putting my finger back together, I have had great success with the Jungle Jack.
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I change blades a clean the deck right on the trailer, i use a 2ton small jack, on the weekends i unload my equipment and use a 3ton floor jack with stands,then do the regular maint-on my mowers. Marks Mowing Service
  5. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I have been considering getting the foldable shop crane from Harbor Freight Tools for about $240.

I will use this to lift the front of the mower, then put jack stands under it.

Seems like this should work ok, and as long as I leave it hooked to the crane and stands under it, should be fairly safe.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Jungle Jack. It's really all just too simple...;)
  7. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Love My JungleJack! Its used on a Great Dane surfer but I couldn't get an auto jack to fit under the lip of my deck and this thing works great. Plus I have no problem with keeping it on the truck. I thought the come along hooked into the ceiling rafter was a good idea for doing work in the basement but since I have the Jungle Jack I just use it for wherever my work is being done; either in the basement in or in the field.
  8. foxslawncare

foxslawncare LawnSite Member

I agree with some of the others. Jungle jack is way to go. Safe and effective.
  9. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

6 ton floor jack (not a bottle jack, has wheels and all) that feels like it weights more than the Z... ;) I picked this baby up for free last year, installed a hydraulic refurb kit, and was on my way to lifting what ever needs lifted.

When jacking the front, just make sure you chock the wheels, just in case...
  10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member